Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought this 03 kfx 400 yesterday but didnt get to ride it much b4 i bought it due to the rain . i rode it today and after it warms up there little smoke rings coming out of a weep hole on the left side of the jug . whats this and why is it doing it . i have been searching forms all day . havnt found anything yet . your thoughts or facts plz . thanks robert

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You may have a stuck compression ring and are getting excessive crankcase pressures on the compression stroke.

My recommendation is to shut it down, drain all the oil and change the oil filter.

Once those are done, then add about a cup of SeaFoam to a tank of fuel and take it our and ride it long enough to burn up a tank of fuel. Then change the oil again and see if the problem went away.

·
Registered
628 Posts
a "weep" hole on the left side of the engine? The only hole on the left side of the engine I can think of would be a spark plug drain hole and I'm not even sure that the KFX400 has one.. It's possible that the spark plug or spark plug gasket could be damaged allowing some of the engines gasses to escape. They could blow down a drain hole (if it has one) and manifest themselves as smoke rings...

·
Registered
1 Posts
03 Kfx 400 wont start

Hi, I just bought a 03 kfx 400, I try to start it by its electric start but it only backfires every once and a while, I took off the seat and opened the butterfly valve and it looks to me that the engine isn't getting any fuel... Im thinking it just needs a valve adjustment or a shim? But the thing is if I get it to a big hill I have in my back yard and ride down it and bump start it It will go, but It also smokes quite a bit before its warmed up? Does anyone think they know what the problem is?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Do a full compression test, wet and dry to determine the source of the smoke. They usually do not smoke at all.

Not starting is almost always the primary or pilot fuel circuit is clogged in the body of the carburetor. The solution it to remove and tear down the carb, clean it and inspect the parts. Whatever you do, do not turn it upside down with gasoline in the float bowl, that ruins the main jet needle diaphragm and adds significant cost to a relatively inexpensive repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL!! That's funny 5cylcoupe! I would have to agree with RCW, 99Prairie has a good point too, I have seen stranger things happen :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts