Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike (1982 KZ750 CSR) smokes a little when it starts up and contiues till it's warm. Once it's warmed up the smoke is minimal. It smells like oil, so I assuming that I have oil leaking by the valve guides. What will replacing the valve guides involve? I should replace the valves as well? Do I need to pull the motor out of the bike or can It be done in place? I have a manual on the bike that I will use as reference, just thought I would get a few pointers from you all 1st. Thanks in advance.

:wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I really don't know how much it uses. It's kinda hard to tell until you dump the oil and measure what's left. I am using 10w40 chevron right now, but I am thinking about switching. I have another post concerning oil types and weights, hopefully the replys I get will help in my decision making.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I have a 1981 650 Yamaha with around 5200 miles on it and I am using 20W50 Valvoline Racing oil in it. Seem's the bike likes it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
10W40 should be OK, but I don't know much about that specific bike. You could try using 20W50 and see if it smokes a bit less but definitely don't use any thinner oil than 10W40.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
since its smoking till warm then it could be piston rings or valve seals/guides are shot. have to do a compression check to find out AND do a leak down test

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it old enough to smoke?

Hi:
If its the valve guides, it will smoke when you let it idle and then crqack the throttle. Usually worn valve guides allow oil to enter the combustion chamber when you idle like at a light and then blow smoke when you take off again. If the bike smokes when you first start it, its a sign of worn rings. Run the bike and get it hot. shut it down. Let it cool. when its cold start it up and notice if it smokes right away. If it does, its rings. If it smokes after idling for a while then accellerating, its guides. Chevron oil?? I dont know about that. Ive seen some gas station brand name oils go through engines like water. Like Mobil for instance. Not a good product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts