Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Step up or step aside
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of my fellow Kawa riders have snowmobiles? Those of you in North & South Dakota, Minn, Wyoming and Montana is it a necessity? Just curious, I've never ridden one, always wanted too. We never have enough snow down here.;)

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
Here in suburban Boston, not so much. But, just over an hour up the street there are tons of people with them in NH.

Two points. For the most part, it is the relative change in temperature that makes you feel cold. Yes, a windy 13 degrees is cold. But, a calm 30 is not, if it happens all the time. I've wintered here mostly. However, 2 each in St Pete and Bermuda taught me this. IE: 95% of water parks have the same length of season, tourists destinations are the only exception.

Secondly, with not a lot else to do, seasonal power sports are the way to go in less populated areas. Within my Jet Ski Group, other members have street bikes, trail bikes, ATV's, or snow sleds.

Do a search for snowmobile forums, and you will find quite a few. Some of the video's posted to the deep snow / powder are just awesome.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Years ago, used to have a Polaris 340TXL. That was in 1978. Liquid cooled and it was a fast sled. Not as fast as the 500 Indy but it would do 80mph.
Which is fast considering you were riding out in the Amish country where they never plowed the roads. Got to the point where we didn't get much snow so the sled sat most of the time. I sold it and bought a 250 dirt bike in which I raced moto cross with.
Now today, I wish I had the sled since we got a boat load of snow here. I can still ride the step son's Kawi 400 racing quad. He got alot of aftermarket parts on it and it is a blast in the winter.

Lucky...

·
Step up or step aside
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it's really like having a motorcycle that can go through snow. I've seen pics of snowmobiles pulled up to the local "watering hole" or resturant like we do on our bikes.

Was just curious. If I ever move to the colder areas, guess that will have to be on my list. Thanks.

I really want to try it, maybe someday I can get to Yellowstone in the winter.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Snowmobiles are kinda like motorcycles. For most of us they are not a necessity. However some people choose to live in areas that don't get plowed and therefore their snowmobiles are obviously a necessity.
Around these parts the snowmobile is a neccesity like my Zx14 is a neccesity.....;)

·
Registered
716 Posts
We always had snowmobiles when I was a kid growing up in Michigan, they were a blast. And since you didn't need any sort of license to drive one it was like being able to drive a car all over the county when you were only 13 or 14 years old. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Behold, a ZX14:

I have aquaintances around here who dump more $$$ into their sleds than i'd ever dream of doing to my bike. To say they take their sledding seriously is an understatement.
Nice looking bike, looks fast. I know what you mean about folks putting $'s into mobiles. Where I live is one of the hot spots in this country for snowmobiling. Just to buy a new one without modding it is expensive. And since I don't own one it is easy for me to criticize them...lol. The new ones are looking like dirt bikes now since they moved the cooling to the rear...little bitty seats and a big unusable space behind the seat.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Nope snowmobiles aren't a necessity most states towns counties won't allow them on streets so that are strictly fun. Not saying that after a good blizzard the cops won't turn a blind eye if your in town on one. Now a good 4x4 truck that is a necessity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.