Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the right (or recommended) way of riding on the snowy road? The major roads are not too bad, but a few blocks around my home is still covered by the snow. The speed limit is 20 mph there, so I can go very slow, but not sure if I am doing it right.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I wouldn't ride in the snow........too dangerous. And if you think cagers ignoe bikers at hte best of times, they really think we aren't out there in the winter.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is dangerous. I am not going really fast, but the bike could go flat very fast. Well, just my guess, cause it has not happened to me yet on the snow. I would like say otherwise about the cagers, though. More often I find them giving me enough distance under the severe weather or road condition. They might think that I could fall and they do not want to go over me... When the road is dry and the weather is nice, I get busy keeping up with the cagers...

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
The right way for me is not at all. A slip on the throttle and you're scraping the snow off the road with your chrome. We recently had a pretty good ice storm here in the midwest, followed by a few inches of snow. While the roads are just fine now, the alley from my garage to the street still has snow and ice on it. Until it's gone, she stays parked :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Avoid the front brake and use alot of caution with the rear. Other than that if youre not fallin you are doing it right !

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Somebody had another post about this. They said that go "real" slow and keep both feet down on the ground for balance. But, not for me.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
what is the right (or recommended) way of riding on the snowy road? The major roads are not too bad, but a few blocks around my home is still covered by the snow. The speed limit is 20 mph there, so I can go very slow, but not sure if I am doing it right.
The book "Proficient Motorcycling" offers some tips about riding in the snow. Like another post has said, if you don't fall down you are doing it right...lol.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Too scarry for me. I would love to ride all winter as well but I think that when the roads are snowy then its time to take the car to work. For those who have layed their bike down know that it happen fast. Be careful and ride safe.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Snow, Ice, bike...don't sound like they go together. I don't think having your feet out will help much if you start to go, cause your feet will slip also. Can you react fast enough to ice on the road without losing control? Also seems like snow would pact into the tread, hampering traction. But then I don't ever ride in snow....may hit some oil or grease...but not snow.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ideally? Put on a sidecare or two.

I'd love to give you some ideas, but I'm totally ignorant about what to do on a motorcycle in the snow.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
I've had older bikers around here, U.P. of Michigan, tell me that they used to put horizontal grooves in their tires. It apparantly worked very well. Their biggest problem was the cagers driving around them while not having the same traction.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
My tip would be don't do it. You will be flat on your kyster in the blink of an eye or less. I have been there....

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Theres only one proper way, leave it in the garage and take the car.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow... Had real hard time on the snowy road. The forcast said 30% chance of light snow in the afternoon. They tend to overshoot, so I took the bike to work under good weather. Going into last afternoon, it started snow good. The seven mile back home was tough. Over 40mph, the tire traction gave up to the wind from front and side, especially on the uphill road. Rear of the bike shook side ways a few times, but the whole system found stability by itself. I just made slow turn. I really need some training on the dirt bike, and get used to controlling under slippery surface...

·
800 Classic
215 Posts
My time spent in Columbus Ohio was full of rides home on the freeway with a few inches of snow.

I would go to work in the afternoon, all warm and sunny. While at work, we would get inches of snow. 1am, I head home thru a frosty winter wonderland.

The best advice I could give would be to not ride in the snow, but since #@%$ happens, I found it best to stay in a higher gear than normal, lots of clutch feathering, <strike>and to ride in the packed down "hard pack" snow tracks that the cagers / semi trucks would leave. </strike> I routinely would find myself heading up a 4 lane freeway going 45mph behind a "blocker" vehicle ( usually a southerner driving in the snow for the first time :p ) riding in the fresh pack snow.

And remember to call your destination and let them know your are leaving, so someone knows to come find you in case something foul happens.

Above all... don't be in a hurry.

Good Luck and may the Force be with you on snow runs.

-JG

edit:
-I did a Strike Out on my " ride in the packed tracks " . While that seemed to work well for me on the freeways, others here have posted it is not a good idea. So please disregard. :p

·
Praying for sun!
146 Posts
I had the non-pleasure of riding in the snow during last nights commute. Spent sunday changing oil and washing the bike and haven't been able to ride for about a month due to the weather. Read in the paper it was going to be sunny this week with a chance of showers yesterday. Nice ride in the morning but the rain came. Then I read a snow advisory for overnight! Head home (17 miles) and about 5 into it the rain stopped and there was snow! It wasn't sticking and I wasn't going to leave my bike on the side of the road. Took it easy and made it home. Waiting for the wife to send me the picture of the bike with windshield covered in snow. Not something I want to do again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts