Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kawi Vulcan 800

A friend of mine sold it to me after her husband walked out on her (it was her husband's bike). Anyways, I just got it shipped from Jersey but I'm a little concerned now. I don't think the bike was winterized b/c I don't think her ex had ridden it since the fall (before he left abruptly).

I know it has been sitting in a warehouse the last month b/c that's what I had arranged prior to having it shipped to me. But before that, I'm pretty sure it had just been sitting outside. I took a quick visual inspection before having to head out to work, saw that the chain looked pretty rusted, but no visible signs of corosion along any of the paint or chrome anywhere else.

Anyway... I haven't even attempted to start her up.

The bike is going to get moved into my garage today, but I was thinking it would be a good idea to go ahead and try to winterize it now. Any thoughts on this?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
If you are not going to ride it, that would be a good idea. At least put the gas stabilizer in and put the battery on a float charger to keep it topped off.

You sure walked into a lucky one in the divorce thing.... I'll wager she was really happy to get it out of her life.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
I'd drain the fuel, flush it out then fill it and add either seafoam or sta-bil in it. take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger (battery tender makes great ones).

make sure that you drain the fuel out of the carb also, get some fresh fuel with the treatment into the carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are not going to ride it, that would be a good idea. At least put the gas stabilizer in and put the battery on a float charger to keep it topped off.

You sure walked into a lucky one in the divorce thing.... I'll wager she was really happy to get it out of her life.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be the least I would do - although, I wasn't sure if it would be best to just drain and clean out the tank at this point or go ahead with the stabilizer.

The divorce thing... yeah, we've been friends since HS and I think she was glad to get rid of the bike, but also didn't want to. She was highly against getting the bike in the first place, but I guess learned to love it - so she wanted it gone, but also wanted to know that it would be taken care of. I basically had to take over the payments and promise to keep the name ~ "Doobie".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd drain the fuel, flush it out then fill it and add either seafoam or sta-bil in it. take the battery out and put it on a trickle charger (battery tender makes great ones).

make sure that you drain the fuel out of the carb also, get some fresh fuel with the treatment into the carb.
Cool, I'll look into. I got a Harley Dealer only about 20 or so min away from me. I'm sure they'll have what I need. Thanks for the info!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Get it running first, and then winterize it. You don't know what condition it has been in for several months, and I'd want to know that everything is working before I put it away properly.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
You can clean up the chain with a grunge brush and kerosene. Then either use chain wax or PJ1 chain lube for best results. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
congrats on your new ride.

How many miles are on it? Will you be able to ride it much during the next few months? Where are you? No photos? wha?

For sure you'll want to the basics. change the oil, charge the battery, lube your control cables (if the chain is rusty the cables are probably dry too)
czech your tire pressure, de-gooberize the chain. Draining the fuel might be a good idea.

maybe re-key the iginition?

800s Rawk.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Get it running first, and then winterize it. You don't know what condition it has been in for several months, and I'd want to know that everything is working before I put it away properly.
+1

Run some seafoam through it before putting it to bed, you'll thank yourself for it in the Spring.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
+1

Run some seafoam through it before putting it to bed, you'll thank yourself for it in the Spring.
at this point, it's do it now or do it later. won't really matter as long as he gets the old gas out now and flushes the system out. ;)

·
w Colby [the 800 drifter]
315 Posts
Hi Luck
I would suggest that you have it serviced and ask them to winterize it so that you don't miss anything. After I got my bike I had it serviced just to make sure that we didn't miss anything. The mechanic gave us a lot of great tips and answered questions that the manual didn't. This was especially important since we did not buy the bike from the actual rider, like yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts