Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted to see a 500r in person, but she wanted to as well, just to get a general idea of things. I was being a great salesman and pointing out how much bigger, more powerful, and more intimidating the other bikes were compared to the puny little 500R. It was a pretty good expierence actually and I will probably head back by myself just to scout it out some more.

Anyway, I got 2 reactions out her.

1 : The bikes are pretty big.. but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, just they are heavier than I thought..

2 : I'm impressed the salesmen aren't Harley guys. No tatoos or anything, they seem like responsible people.

So one step closer to her permission to let me get a 500r. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice follow-up, turning out to be a good story. Reminds me of when I went to get mine. Thanks for the memories.... dee, dum, dee, dum, dee, dum....

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
if you actually got your mom to go to the dealership you are still 100 steps closer than I am now. I had to go out on my own to get the bike against my parents. the 500r is a lot of bike still, but don't let your mom onto that or else you'll be getting a 250R.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Geez, lucky you! When I was a youngin' my Mom would have no such thing. She wrecked on a scooter WAY back and was still scared.

A 500r is just under 400 pounds I think. If you get your leverage right a small woman can pick up a GoldWing. Turn the bars so the top of the tire points at you it'll get it up a little. Then put your butt under the edge of the seat and push with your legs. Just not to hard or you'll have to repeat the steps to get it off it's other side. :) I'm 5'11" and 170 and was able to pick mine up easily. Without using the butt/leg push method. It's not hard.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

good move! keep the parents informed,start pushing the safety issue,leave some bike books laying around open to the riding gear pages :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have already told her to read some motorcycle stuff. Now just if she ever gets around to it.. ;)

Regarding the weight : It makes sense that it is all about positioning. She does have a valid point about the bikes being heavy though.. 400lbs can easily break a leg if it falls in the wrong place.

I didn't actually get to sit on the bike or hear it fire up, so I am gonna have to head back today probably, put on all of my nice stuff, and try to be taken seriously. :)

PS : I read my mom the Hurt report at least once every 2 days, it is bound to start sinking in sooner or later. :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
comeback_kid96 said:
Yeah, I have already told her to read some motorcycle stuff. Now just if she ever gets around to it.. ;)

Regarding the weight : It makes sense that it is all about positioning. She does have a valid point about the bikes being heavy though.. 400lbs can easily break a leg if it falls in the wrong place.

I didn't actually get to sit on the bike or hear it fire up, so I am gonna have to head back today probably, put on all of my nice stuff, and try to be taken seriously. :)

PS : I read my mom the Hurt report at least once every 2 days, it is bound to start sinking in sooner or later. :p
I wouldn't worry about the weight to much. After you lay it down a few times you get really good at two things. 1) You learn how to pick up the bike the easiest way... turn the wheel into the ground and that will give you leverage to get it up and 2) not lay down the bike anymore! 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just my two cents. Don't get a new bike. Everyone gets a turn to meet the pavement (I've already had a few). Chances are very high that it will go down. Probably with you on it. And new bikes devalue very quickly especially if they have been dropped. If I were you I would be lookin for a used 500 in decent shape. That might also give you the value angle with your parents. It's cheaper than car and more feul efficient while still be reliable. While we are on the subject of used bikes I'm looking for a used 500 or 250 :D

Thanks,
Albert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I am going to get a nice used bike that I can grow old with. It's crazy how quickly new 500rs devalue(probably all bikes for that matter). I'm wantin the 500r to last about.. 3ish years without too much maintenance before I move on to a bigger bike. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
comeback_kid96 said:
Yeah, I am going to get a nice used bike that I can grow old with. It's crazy how quickly new 500rs devalue(probably all bikes for that matter). I'm wantin the 500r to last about.. 3ish years without too much maintenance before I move on to a bigger bike. :)
It might not even take you that long to want a bigger bike and buying used will help make that decision easier for you when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BIKES

I'm going to be 51 on the 29th and I'm pulling a (2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250R) EX250F With 1028 miles on it, out of the salvage yard. Sure I could have a 750, 600, 500, even a Harley if I wanted...after having and riding lots of bikes, I'm ready for a lightweight with lightweight insurance and repair costs. I'm a peg dragger even with my Kawi 175 dual sport with (STICKY STREET TIRES!!!) and I love the launching and G-Force but mostly cornering...increasing, decreasing radius turns, mountain roads, forest roads...love to do everything but the boring straight line interstates. My 250 will immediately have a new rear sprocket +3 and new rubber. I'm still working on finding an adjustable rear shock, and I'm redoing a 2nd seat for a more agressive position. If the Muzzy can is to loud (it's already on the bike) then I'll be looking for something else to replace it with. Getting your brake, clutch levers set properly is something that most people just overlook or just never seem to adjust. Same with the brake pedal and shifter...One thing I saw that amazed me was that on the 2004 model the horn was placed back under the frame near the rear wheel??? What good is that??? Unless you are going to be honking all of the time you can use a 6Volt horn, it's louder...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts