Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a full face helmet to use this spring to replace my old open face HJC helmet i borrowed from my brother..

I went to the motorcyclesuperstore website and im just overwhelmed.. there are over 20 manufactures.. and each of them has at least 20 different models.. thats like 400 different helmets.

I have a medium sized head, and i want to wear my precription sunglasses when i ride. And i want a light helmet, under 4lbs. at the minumum. Pretty much all teh helmets are DOT and snell rated.. which companies should i consider?

Paul

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I'd like the same. I'll be watching for suggestions. I'm really looking for the best value in protection and comfort.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
HJC, KBC, Nolan, Shoei, arai, scorpion, and icon are all decent helmets that may fit your needs. They do however, vary greatly in price. I used to use hjc helmets, however I am currently using kbc helmets, and I like them much more than hjc. Not to say they were bad, kbc lids just fit me better.

KBC VR-1X Performance

This is the helmet i am now using, I have 2 of them I like them so much. Also, it's cheap!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
The best helmet, is one that is DOT approved, and fits you comfortably...so you'll wear it. ;-)

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Firts thing is to determine your price range. This will narrow the feild down greatly for you. Then is to figure out what features you want (venting, sheild options, etc..)

Arai and Shoei's are great helmets with lot's of creature comforts, but you pay a pretty penny for them. As high as $600+ if you get some of the really cool graphics.

For under $300, you can easily find nice helmets from Scorpion, HJC, KBC, etc.. for the price of a plain white Shoei.

There are even som decent helmets under $150. But you will be sacraficing things like weight, venting, or graphics.

And you still need to make sure it fits your head properly.

So, give us a price range, and we can probably make better suggestions for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the comments..

my budget is $350 so that actually gives me alot of helmets to choose from.

I like these two helmets so far..

HJC AC-12
SHOEI RF-1000 (solid color seems to be way cheaper than the painted models)

Both models are around $330.. the rf-1000 has nearly perfect reviews though.

On that particular website I couldn't find any ARAI helmets in my price range, so i need to check out some other vendors still.

What other helmets should i be looking at before i bite?

Paul

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
you might wanna try them on at a dealer or local shop first. head shapes vary as do helmets by brand.....
I have had hjc nolan and shoei for me ths shoei are the best. I would alos shop around sometimes you can find helmets that are last years graphics for really good deals

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I want to buy a full face helmet to use this spring to replace my old open face HJC helmet i borrowed from my brother..

I went to the motorcyclesuperstore website and im just overwhelmed.. there are over 20 manufactures.. and each of them has at least 20 different models.. thats like 400 different helmets.

I have a medium sized head, and i want to wear my precription sunglasses when i ride. And i want a light helmet, under 4lbs. at the minumum. Pretty much all teh helmets are DOT and snell rated.. which companies should i consider?

Paul

I am a Nolan fan to the extreme....and the modular style is great as you can open it to eat/ drink etc.....sweet helmets, I have a couple now, but my new one and fav is the 102.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
I wear a Z1R Stance...full face. Its got vents also. They run about $125.
DOT and Snell approved. You can also get different shades of the removable face shield.

Lucky...

·
Registered
823 Posts

Paul
All full face helmets are gonna protect your melon, some will do it better than others.
The first thing to consider is fit! it's just a strange but true fact that some helmets are going to fit better than others.
I currently use an AGV GP-1 helmet, and although it's pretty good, the best fit I ever had was with my old ARAI helmet.
Go to your accessories store and try them all on, look for one that's firm against your cheeks, doesn't wobble around, and wear ir for 10 minutes or so around the store, you'll look like a bit of a dufus walking around with a helmet on, but at least you'll get an idea of how it will wear.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
thanks for the comments..

my budget is $350 so that actually gives me alot of helmets to choose from.

I like these two helmets so far..

HJC AC-12
SHOEI RF-1000 (solid color seems to be way cheaper than the painted models)

Both models are around $330.. the rf-1000 has nearly perfect reviews though.

On that particular website I couldn't find any ARAI helmets in my price range, so i need to check out some other vendors still.

What other helmets should i be looking at before i bite?

Paul
Look at the HJC CL-15. It's cool, quiet and around $150. They run small, though, so be sure to try one on first. It's just as quiet as the 5 year old Shoei it replaced. It has a removable liner, the shield is easy to remove and replace and it has a catch to hold the shield open about 1/8" if you want some extra air, but don't want to much wind. My sunglasses fit under it with no problem, but you'll want to try one on wearing the ones you use.

Shark makes a very nice, very lightweight helmet, but it's pricy. It's in the same range as the helmets you have listed.

If you fit a Shoei, you probably won't fit an Arai. They fit two completely different head shapes.

Stay away from KBC helmets. A lot of stores sell them, but they're really hot to wear, have shields that warp your view and the shields don't go completely up and out of the way of the eye port when fully raised on some models. They also aren't particularly light. There are other, better choices in their price range.

The Scorpion EXO 400 is in the $150 price range and offers great protection. However, it's rather noisy and seems to be very cheaply built (the fit and finish seemed a bit lacking and the breath guard doesn't stay locked in). I'd either go with an HJC in that range or use that extra money you have to go with something better.

Overall, I would recommend the HJC CL-15. It's very well priced and feels more expensive than it really is. The only noise issue I encountered was I got a little bit of a whistle when the top vents were open and I turned my head sideways. When my head faced forward, I didn't hear it. My advice, save the money over what you planned to spend, and put it toward other gear.

BTW, you'll find that what you said about the difference in price between solid and graphic designs is true with nearly every helmet maker.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Oh yeah, so it is.... I just looked at the title and didn't realize he copied/pasted it into a thread. :oops:

Head shape is just as important as size. webBikeWorld does a great job at reviewing different lids, and also identifying head shapes such as round, oval, earth shaped, etc.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I have an oval shaped head, so the Shoei fits me like a glove, but Aria which is best for round heads is nothing short of excruciating. I have a Z1R that I bought online, which is best for earth shaped heads, but it's a size too big for me. I kept it though as it fits my wife well.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I have an oval shaped head, so the Shoei fits me like a glove, but Aria which is best for round heads is nothing short of excruciating.
My brother in law is just the opposite. He can't wear a Shoei because it presses into his forehead. I, on the other hand, am perfectly comfortable in a Shoei. That also means I'm comfortable in an HJC, which fits the same head shape. I believe the same applies to Scorpions.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
you really just need to go to a decent sized dealer and spend some time sticking helmets on your head. it's what I did when I had the $$ to upgrade from my heavy Zamp FS2... came home with a Shoei TZ-R, which actually fit me better than the more expensive RF1k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts