Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is Mariah, a newbie on here. I got an 85' Kawasaki 700 LTD for Christmas from my husband, and I don't have anyone around here to ask questions yet. Mind helping a bit?
Who has a KZ700 on here about this age? I know this model was only made for 2 or 3 years, but someone has to know...
Is a small oil leak normal for this age of a bike? I just did an oil change last night and used 20W 50 due to the heat down here in FL. I've noticed little drips in the garage, and when I changed the oil last night I made sure everything was good and snug. Oil drips again after sitting all night.

Also, I put in a new battery last week, and already had to jump start it once. I'm wondering if it may be a cell in the battery, or if a short circuit somewhere would do this. My turn signals only work part of the time so I've got to get ahold of a repair manual and see about fixing them, as well as the speedometer.

Would love to hear from any of you!
Chromequeen... :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Chromequeen said:
Hey this is Mariah, a newbie on here. I got an 85' Kawasaki 700 LTD for Christmas from my husband, and I don't have anyone around here to ask questions yet. Mind helping a bit?
Who has a KZ700 on here about this age? I know this model was only made for 2 or 3 years, but someone has to know...
Is a small oil leak normal for this age of a bike? I just did an oil change last night and used 20W 50 due to the heat down here in FL. I've noticed little drips in the garage, and when I changed the oil last night I made sure everything was good and snug. Oil drips again after sitting all night.

Also, I put in a new battery last week, and already had to jump start it once. I'm wondering if it may be a cell in the battery, or if a short circuit somewhere would do this. My turn signals only work part of the time so I've got to get ahold of a repair manual and see about fixing them, as well as the speedometer.

Would love to hear from any of you!
Chromequeen... :wink:
The first thing to do is to locate exactly where the oil is leaking from. It could be the drain plug gasket or the oil pan gasket. These tend to dry out on an older bike and do not seal properly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oil Leaks

Hi Mariah:
Park the bike on top of a piece of cardboard and see exactly where the drops are comming from and how many of then there are. Oil leaks are a no no since as your going forward, the oil is blowing backward towards your rear wheel and that could make things a bit dangerous. especially if the leak gets worse while your riding and you dont notice it. Check the drain plug or the bottom of the oil drain pan you used. You might just find a washer or o ring that came off the drain plug when you removed it from the bike. The washer has a tendency to stay on the engine case when you remove the plug and then fall off when you go to reinstall the plug. If the leak is at the drain plug, bet thats what happened. Why?? Cuz it happened to me. And Im a mechanic. (embarrased). As far as the battery being dead, it just might be time to buy a new one. First try charging it and see if is stays charged after that. Second thing to do if it goes dead again, is to charge it and dissconnect it overnight and reconnect it in the morning and see if it is still charged. If it doesnt loose charge when dissconnected overnight, you have something drawing on it when it is connected, like a short or electrical component that stays on after the ignigion is shut off. Sometimes a shorted Diode in the alternator could drain the battery overnight when the key is off. But check the other things I told you first, they're the cheap ones. If you need any info, email me at [email protected] Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts