Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airforce 1 is seen flying around the statue of liberty, scaring NY'rs... They said they are trying to update airforce1 pic's around national landmarks....

Although they did say Obama is upset with the move...

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
The President does not care how much fuel is used. Obama gave a 37 minute speech on alternative fuels and conseveration on Earth Day in Iowa last week, he flew from DC to Iowa and back for the speech. he used 9116 gallons of gas doing that. Like it or not, he is the King and we are his subjects .

Obama Earth Day Flights Burned More Than 9,000 Gallons Of Fuel | - CBS News

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
honestly, now that they have started working on creating gasoline from corn byproducts and other organic sources (switchgrass, which was being touted as a good means to produce ethanol), its only a short matter of time before they start making other fuel products using the same process (like kerosene, aka jet fuel!)

so pick up on this someone, produce the fuel, and then we wont have to worry about adding ethanol to our gas! i hate smelling alcohol as i fill up. i dont drive or ride a Sprint Car! LOL

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Ethanol in gasoline

The EPA is being urged by farm states pressure groups to increase ethanol in gasoline to 15%, and Minnesota apparently is considering a boost to 20%. Motorcycle makers are urging a hold at the current percentage due to concerns about the effects of higher percentages of ethanol on motorcycle engines. Since we were stuck with mandatory 10% ethanol in Oregon our fuel mileage has declined by 10% which doesn't make sense, but I keep meticulous records. The EPA is soliciting comments - to do so log on to the website and leave a message.

·
NEW VULCAN, OLD RIDER
734 Posts
honestly, now that they have started working on creating gasoline from corn byproducts and other organic sources (switchgrass, which was being touted as a good means to produce ethanol), its only a short matter of time before they start making other fuel products using the same process (like kerosene, aka jet fuel!)

so pick up on this someone, produce the fuel, and then we wont have to worry about adding ethanol to our gas! i hate smelling alcohol as i fill up. i dont drive or ride a Sprint Car! LOL
The Air Force has already been working on bio as well as coal based fuels.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjGElvZJEDIBn3pXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEydXM0MDliBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0Y4NjFfODQ-/SIG=15o1d2as1/EXP=1240983556/**http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=aerospacedaily&id=news/BIOF013009.xml&headline=USAF+Launches+Major+Biofuel+Initiative

aviationweek.com/aw/generic/...+Launches+Major+Biofuel+Initiative -

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
The President does not care how much fuel is used. Obama gave a 37 minute speech on alternative fuels and conseveration on Earth Day in Iowa last week, he flew from DC to Iowa and back for the speech. he used 9116 gallons of gas doing that. Like it or not, he is the King and we are his subjects .

Obama Earth Day Flights Burned More Than 9,000 Gallons Of Fuel | - CBS News
Except, how else is he gonna get out there?

He can't just hop in the presidential limo for a road trip and call "shotgun". The fact is, making personal appearances is part of his job. He has to show he cares. Calling in via Skype isn't going to cut it.

The thing is, you're gonna hate it more than you thing. Whenever Air Force One flies, an exact duplicate of it flies along with it. This does two things: 1) it provides a decoy so no one can be sure which plane is really carrying the President and 2) once both eventually get to the destination, it acts as a backup if something happens to Air Force One.

The same goes for Marine One: they use 3 of them that change formation during the flight to confuse potential threats. There are also duplicates of the Presidential limo and support vehicles that get sent ahead of time to anyplace the president goes.

The fact is, if the president is going to go anywhere, he's going to burn some serious fuel. One can always dispute the need to go places, but as long as he is the face of the government, he has to visit places now and then.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i hate to say it but almost all gasoline cars are going to have a problem running 15-20% ethanol...not just bikes! all internal combustion engines not designed for it period! they are retarded if they think they can pull that off. i know for years ethanol was already in the gas at up to 10%, at least during winter months. now its just year-round. i havent really noticed a decline in my mileage though...im just sick of the smell LOL

if the EPA wants us to run 15% ethanol they better get me a new car (and bike!) that can run the stuff. i want a Nissan 370Z please, Sport package, in Pear White TYVM!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The Air Force has already been working on bio as well as coal based fuels.

USAF Launches Major Biofuel Initiative | AVIATION WEEK

aviationweek.com/aw/generic/...+Launches+Major+Biofuel+Initiative -
very nice...however it said that the fuel they want to use can be made by existing refineries. the process i refer to is pretty new. heres a link to an article on it...

Bacteria that are full of gas. - Neoseeker News Article

i, for one, cant wait for the day when we can say that our gas is renewable...because it is! no need to drill for the oil if we dont want to IMO. or we can supplement our oil with this "sythetic" gas. and no need for ethanol in our gas anymore because ethanol is basically just a means to stretch out the supply, but hurts in other ways.

however, they can make ethanol with this process as well im sure. so who knows?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
our fuel mileage has declined by 10% which doesn't make sense
It makes perfect sense. This is the best kept secret by environmentalists... ethanol is less efficient than fossile fuels.

"Ethanol contains approx. 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline" (source)

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Except, how else is he gonna get out there?

He can't just hop in the presidential limo for a road trip and call "shotgun". The fact is, making personal appearances is part of his job. He has to show he cares. Calling in via Skype isn't going to cut it.

The thing is, you're gonna hate it more than you thing. Whenever Air Force One flies, an exact duplicate of it flies along with it. This does two things: 1) it provides a decoy so no one can be sure which plane is really carrying the President and 2) once both eventually get to the destination, it acts as a backup if something happens to Air Force One.

The same goes for Marine One: they use 3 of them that change formation during the flight to confuse potential threats. There are also duplicates of the Presidential limo and support vehicles that get sent ahead of time to anyplace the president goes.

The fact is, if the president is going to go anywhere, he's going to burn some serious fuel. One can always dispute the need to go places, but as long as he is the face of the government, he has to visit places now and then.
Glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. It's a big task to get the President from one location to the next in a secure manner (any U.S. president). The price for that security is in part, quite simply, fuel.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
How much fuel was burned on that little photo junket over NYC on Monday morning?

In the hours and days following 9/11 I came to the conclusion that if I were president that I would be laying out a plan for the energy independence of the USA, much like the moonshot plan, so that we would not be dependent on the middle east. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

I'm not even as concerned about alternative fuels as I am about maximizing efficiency and minimizing waste of whatever energy source is in use.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Airforce 1 is seen flying around the statue of liberty, scaring NY'rs... They said they are trying to update airforce1 pic's around national landmarks....

Although they did say Obama is upset with the move...
Just more buffoonery by the naive and inexperienced Whitehouse staff.

"Oh, we didn't think".... No - they didn't

"We told the FCC (oops FAA) and thought they would take care of notifying the public." .... Idiots, quit trying to pass the blame - AF1 flight plans are classified and the FCC (oops again FAA) doesn't have authority to de-class them.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. It's a big task to get the President from one location to the next in a secure manner (any U.S. president). The price for that security is in part, quite simply, fuel.
Obama was in town today for his 100 days speech. The Marine 1 helicopter used to move him from the airport to the high school he was speaking at practiced landing for days. Up and down. Up and down. I'da thunk they would know how to do this before they got to fly the President around. How hard can it be to land on a high school football field?

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
OH! And why not just Photoshop the plane in front of the statue of Liberty? I know guys on this forum that could show a donkey riding on the wing of AF1 and have it look completely natural!

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Obama was in town today for his 100 days speech. The Marine 1 helicopter used to move him from the airport to the high school he was speaking at practiced landing for days. Up and down. Up and down. I'da thunk they would know how to do this before they got to fly the President around. How hard can it be to land on a high school football field?
Marine 1 has 54' rotor diameter, is 65' long and has an 85' turn diameter. Standard size for a football field is about 160' wide by 300' between the goal posts. And every location is little different regarding approach/departure obstacles., especially where they might have field lights. They need to thoroughly check all possible approaches and departures, including low slope, high speed emergency departures. I really don't think they want to leave that to a fly in once and look around visit.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
Marine 1 has 54' rotor diameter, is 65' long and has an 85' turn diameter. Standard size for a football field is about 160' wide by 300' between the goal posts. And every location is little different regarding approach/departure obstacles., especially where they might have field lights. They need to thoroughly check all possible approaches and departures, including low slope, high speed emergency departures. I really don't think they want to leave that to a fly in once and look around visit.
Oh sure. Throw in facts into a quasi-political discussion. How dare you! :) They made it look easy then. If you squinted and pretended hard enough it looked liek the helicopter was bouncing off the ground.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts