Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting back into bikes soon. My last bike was a 900F Honda, which was voted by the motorcycling press as the best bike of the 1980's, but this is, of course, a different age. I'm thinking that the current crop of 600 standards (Suzuki SV650, Kaw's ZZR600, etc.) is probably what I should look at, but I was wondering about the 500R. Has anyone here ever packed one up and taken any overnight trips on it? Any body ever done any camping, touring, etc., with one? How do they do in that situation? How about 200 mile day trips riding 2-up? Both my wife and I are short, so ergonomics are not really an issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an '04 500R as my first bike and have been looking into the same things. I want a small sport bike that can also double as a reasonably comfortable tourer. My girl and I ride together fairly often, though we haven't taken a trip of more than a few hours yet. I've had the bike out for 6 hour stints by myself. I've got 2500 miles on the ticker now.

Here's what I've found:
- If I really wanted to ride all day 2up, I'd get a new saddle. The stock one works, but after a few hours, you'll want to walk around a bit. I weigh 155lbs, and a good bit more than my girl, but I imagine the seat would be even worse for heavier riders. Her butt gets a bit sore as well, but she seems to enjoy the wide, flat, and low seating position.

- No comfortable passenger grab bars. The rear bar works if you're braking and they need to hold on, but side handles is one of things I wish my bike had most.

- If you are planning on putting weight on the bike often, you'll want to firm up the rear shock, which from what I hear isn't the easiest thing to do, but if you set it and forget it, I guess wouldn't be too bad. I've left mine at the stock setting and so long as I take it easy over the rough stuff when 2up, it rides just fine.

- With a low tank and a relatively upright seating position, you should have good clearance for a tank bag.

- There is no stock storage areas on the bike, but I've been eyeing some empty room behind the front fairing and windscreen that can probably be modified to hold stuff.

- You get noticable handlebar vibration on the highway, which starts to put my throttle hand to sleep after a while. If you really want it to tour, I'd get a throttle lock, and maybe spongier gribs.

- Givi does make a mounting rack for the tail of the bike, so this is a plus. But, I haven't found any saddle bags that will still allow for 2up riding.

- Power, even 2up, will be all that you need. It is noticeably slower 2up, but still does everything you need it to....quickly.

- I get 60 mpg solo, not sure 2up, so fuel economy is great.

Hope this helps....... :D

BTW - I've also been considering the ZZR-600, which seems to be exactly what I want. But, I'll keep the 500 for a while, hone my skills, save up some cash, while hoping Kaw updates the ZZR-600.......and maybe look into it again at some point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome repy, thank you. BTW, Rev-Pack makes great motorcycle luggage, including saddle bags at reasonable prices. I've had some of their stuff for over 20 years, and it still holds up great.

Also, I've found that nomatter how comfortable the seat, I always wind up having to stop once in a while to take a little walk. Some guys arent like that, but I've always had to build up my ability to remain in the saddle for longer periods of time.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So tell me, Trashmonkey, do you agree with what's been said so far. Do you think YOUR 500R would be adequate for a little touring? Any longer trips (3 days or more) would be done solo. But as I said, I'd probably take occasional overnighters with my wife. What's your opinion about it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did a 4 hour trip (300miles) on my 97 GPZ (ex500) here in the UK, riding through rain, heavy wind & hailstones at one point. Then came back the next day, i wouldnt reccomend it. The small of my back hurt from trying to crouch behind the fairing, my arse hurt from the stock seat and my hands were 'tingly' from the bar vibes. The outbound trip wasnt too bad it was just a case of since i didnt get much rest between the outbound and the return trip after 20mins on the way home i felt as bad as i had after 4 hours in the saddle the day before.
However saying that the trip was an experience however not to be repeated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
samurai01us said:
So tell me, Trashmonkey, do you agree with what's been said so far. Do you think YOUR 500R would be adequate for a little touring? Any longer trips (3 days or more) would be done solo. But as I said, I'd probably take occasional overnighters with my wife. What's your opinion about it?
I have a 04. Left out Friday at 9am, just got back, Sunday at 4pm, put 518 miles on it. Was only one up, but had a set of Joe Rocket saddlebags and a Nelson Rigg Tank bag, held everything I needed. By the way the Saddlebags expand to twice their normal size if needed, but I never expanded them and had more then enough for me. 1st two days I had no problem with being saddle sore, but by the time I got home was stiff, but that can happen on any bike. It ran perfect, had no problems what so ever with it on the trip. Still love it. If you have any specific questions let me know, be happy to answer them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts