Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get rid of the passenger backrest on my 1700 Classic LT. I have to make a couple new brackets and then it will be an easy switch. Just want to make it a little different than stock. I did some photo editing to give me an idea of how it will look.

Opinions?

·
Lookin' for a sunny day!
56 Posts
Looks good. I like the look of bikes better without a backrest. Most the time I ride with a single Mustang seat with smaller side bags and ghost brackets. When the little lady is going for a ride I put the 2 up seat with backrest and the bigger bags on.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
on the 900 lt it only takes 5 minutes to do that without making any brackets.

take the saddle bags off, then the nuts holding on the saddle bag brackets,

then take out the bolts holding on the back reat, reinstall the bolts then the nuts, then reinstall the saddle bags.

im sure the 1700 is set up the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the 1700 the saddle bag bracket has a stub that sticks up. This stub is where the backrest bolts up. If I just remove the backrest, I would still have the stubs sticking up.

The new brackets I make will not have the stubs. Should be a much cleaner look.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
no your not following me, remove the saddle bags and brackets, then theres 2 nuts per side under there remove them 4 nuts and remove the back rest from the fender studs, then re assemble.

if you dont get it let me know ans sunday i will remove mine and post pics as i go.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
So now all u gotta do is remove the saddle bags and u got yourself a 1700 classic! :shock:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no your not following me, remove the saddle bags and brackets, then theres 2 nuts per side under there remove them 4 nuts and remove the back rest from the fender studs, then re assemble.

if you dont get it let me know ans sunday i will remove mine and post pics as i go.

I have read over your dis-assembly instructions a couple times and it sounds like the 2 bikes are put together differently.

I have a bracket that bolts to each side of the fender. The bags mount to this bracket. On my bike, each bracket has a stub that sticks up. Each side of the backrest uses two bolts that mount to the stub.

I have already had it apart so that I could make up templates for the new brackets. Here is a picture that might help show how this thing is put together. Thanks, I appreciate the input.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Well to answer that question......."She" told me I couldn't buy a motorcycle. I cant really say I miss her. ;)
--good on ya bro. If ya treat your bike nice it will luv ya long time..wont talk back to ya.. and she'll stop whining once u get her parked..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts