Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that it's standard for a bike to not have a gas gauge, but why is that? Why don't they just have one? They make all cars with gas gauges.

·
Registered
182 Posts
BradPeart said:
I know that it's standard for a bike to not have a gas gauge, but why is that? Why don't they just have one? They make all cars with gas gauges.
Well I think it is because bikes go much further than cars on gas, and as you know almost all bikes have a reserve. Most people just watch their mileage and know when it is time to get gas. Others wait until they need to flip their petcock to reserve, and lastly, people like me check how much gas they have often enough to never really worry about it. On a side note, some newer bikes have gas guages, but it is usually the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guess is two fold. I think the shape of the tank makes it difficult to put a measuring device in the tank as opposed to cars with relatively rectangular shaped tanks. The second is that bikes turn by leaning so the fuel gets sloshed around more making it difficult for a guage to measure accurately

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 87 has a gas gauge and is highly inaccurate. i lose about 1/8 of a tank when i acc. to highway speeds from surface streets. my gas guage varies from 1/2 to full for about the first 80 or so miles, then it just sits on E for the next 70 or so when i get paranoid and just fill up. as far as i know my bike has no reserve and i wish i had one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 85 ZX900 has a gas gauge, I bet that R1schmelz is right about the gas sloshing around. Makes the needle bounce every where. Easier to just watch your mileage and hit reserve if you need to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts