Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few taken by a member of our club...........I havent done mine yet.

after the ride I had to go to work for 13 hours, so I am a little beat.

I believe it ended up being like 32 bikes. Socal BTK was well represented, along with LAVROC and Honda Shadow, Left Coast Riders joined us for the first time.

Overall...........It was freaking cold, I mean cold...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It was right around 100 miles out and back for most riders, we went to the local ghost town, then to a 50's diner to eat.

I personally enjoyed the desert scenery on the way.........absolutely stunning.

Also, my daughter joined us which is always a bonus for me, claudio's son was there as well, a few guys brought wives and girlfriends, so we are starting to have a more family get together.

Special thanks to Rich, xavier, and George for sharing the tailgunning and leading parts.

Our new riders did a fantastic job for their first time in formation

will get more pics later................but ehre is a start

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Were there supposed to be pics? Not seeing any. :(

***EDIT - Initially hit REPLY before the Flickr post went up. My bad.*** ;)

That's one of the reasons why I didn't follow up with a December ride up here. Temps have dropped like a rock in water... at least relative to California norms. I'm hoping the trends change soon so I can get my tail in gear for planning a February ride.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Very cool and what a beautiful day it appeard to be. We have snow here and cold temps.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun going on there.:lol: Thanks for sharing.:cool: Alf will now go shovel the driveway.:eek:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Leaving the gas stop. We had Harleys, a Gold Wing, a BMW that looked more like a gold wing than most gold wings, one sport bike and one rider from the Shadow forum on a Shadow Aero that had a total lifetime mileage of 400 miles by the time we got to Peggy Sues - so when he started the ride he had MAYBE 300 miles under his belt. But he did a great job.

YouTube - Gas Stop

Also, there was a new Victory 106. That is some crazy looking bike.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I'd be a screaming chicken to after seeing all of those bikes. LOL :)
That is a little biker bar, quite literally at the dead-end of the Berdoo portion of the original Route-66... that's as far as you can go on 66 before you have to hit the slab for about 2 miles, then you can drop down into the canyon for about 5-6 miles before getting back on I-15 again.

40 or 50 years ago, that building was a hopping little gas station... the first one out of Cajon Pass coming down from the high desert, and last stop for fuel for about 35 miles. Today, the pumps are gone, only the '50s style steel awning structure and concrete islands remain. The garage is now the bar itself. Very few cagers hang out there... it's a big hangout for the local 1% clubs.

If you remember the links to the photos of the bikini bike wash that I posted last Spring... that's where it was.

Good news though, the little diner next to it is under new ownership, and apparently the food is pretty good. They used to be horrible.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Weren't that cold.

You just need to get your bodyfat up to 15 or 20% :biggrin:

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
There were too many of us to get across the green arrow so Rich's guys blocked traffic.

YouTube - Blocking Traffic
Never having done group rides like that and being from New England and not the west coast I'm just curious. Nobody gives you crap about blocking traffic??? just for a group ride. I've only ridden with a few guys so never had the traffic light problem. Again was just a question out of curiosity.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Never having done group rides like that and being from New England and not the west coast I'm just curious. Nobody gives you crap about blocking traffic??? just for a group ride. I've only ridden with a few guys so never had the traffic light problem. Again was just a question out of curiosity.
Yes and no.
Cagers tend to not want to intentionally run over bikes.
Cops? It depends. On the record, they'll tell you that you can't do it.
Off the record, they are more than happy to roll through a red when traffic is being blocked, and in some cases will actually make the block (not in uniform).

It's one of those gray areas where riding clubs and family-oriented groups can usually get away with it, but a 1%er group would end up having a chat with the judge.

Without a parade permit or other arrangements with the local PD (such as a funeral procession during a Patriot Guard mission), it is NOT legal.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Yes and no.
Cagers tend to not want to intentionally run over bikes.
Cops? It depends. On the record, they'll tell you that you can't do it.
Off the record, they are more than happy to roll through a red when traffic is being blocked, and in some cases will actually make the block (not in uniform).

It's one of those gray areas where riding clubs and family-oriented groups can usually get away with it, but a 1%er group would end up having a chat with the judge.

Without a parade permit or other arrangements with the local PD (such as a funeral procession during a Patriot Guard mission), it is NOT legal.
Thanks for clearing that up Rich. I kinda figured that but just getting back into the bike world was just curious. Being a trucker we also will hold up traffic at times in construction area's due to the stupid cars (cagers) trying to squeeze by at the last min. which backs up traffic even more. Sometimes ya get a ticket sometimes not. Lots of gray area's out there on the road but enjoying the ride when out of my rig and on my bike. Well eventually. Just started snowing and sleeting again. Gonna be a fun day in the a.m.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We've never really done it before on the 3 rides that I've been on but whenever we come to a 4 way stop, the drivers at the other stop signs wave us through. When you think about it, its really safer for traffic to be blocked than having bikers trying to make the light at the last second.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts