Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparing to do the CaddmanQ air mod and reading through Constrictor's tutorial, I noticed that soldering is involved. Well, I've never done that before. I don't own a soldering gun or solder, and frankly don't know if there's an art to it or if it's pretty straight-forward, meathead stuff.

I only need it for two (2) solder points, so I'm also wondering if there's another way around this in lieu of soldering? Maybe in-line connectors that you simply crimp with a wire cutting tool?

As always, any/all help and input appreciated,
Daryl:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Its not hard to do, but I'm a bit confused what you need to solder. Your post lists that you have a PCIII and that should be plug and play on an 05+ Nomad. No need for the resistor if you have a PCIII -or did I miss something here ?

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
In preparing to do the CaddmanQ air mod and reading through Constrictor's tutorial, I noticed that soldering is involved. Well, I've never done that before. I don't own a soldering gun or solder, and frankly don't know if there's an art to it or if it's pretty straight-forward, meathead stuff.

I only need it for two (2) solder points, so I'm also wondering if there's another way around this in lieu of soldering? Maybe in-line connectors that you simply crimp with a wire cutting tool?

As always, any/all help and input appreciated,
Daryl:confused:
if it turns out you have to solder after all let me know. i've been trained in nasa qulified soldering. i'll come help out and teach you what i know.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Read just a tad further where it says

The resistor mod only applies to fuel injected bikes. If you have a carbed bike, you will need to manually adjust your carberators using new jets.

Although this modification is almost free (the only part you need to buy is a resistor), it does involve going a little deeper into the electronics of your bike and soldering a resistor into the stock wiring. Some people may find this scary, but I wanted to try it, so for this walkthrough, I am soldering in a 680 ohm resistor into the wiring harness coming out of the air temp sensor. If you already have a Power Programmer or a comparable product on your bike, you can skip this whole step, but since one of the points of the Caddman mod is to save money, you can try this to nearly accomplish the same thing.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(slapping self in forehead).... Right, I've got it. I see it now... DOH!!!

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
I've soldered many many wires etc. together.
I fly electric powered rc aircraft and make my own battery packs etc.
One thing about soldering, if its involves anything electrical, resin core solder works very well. I have 3 soldering irons, 25 watt, 40 watt and the large weller gun. When making a solder joint, keep your iron tip clean. Also make sure the items your soldering are also clean (I use denatured alcohol). Tin the items to join with solder and make sure the tip of the iron is also tinned. One hit with the iron, about a second and the solder will flow between the wires or whatevery your connecting. Put a piece of shrink wrap on it and hit it with a heat gun or the old lady's hair dryer. The shrink wrap will shrink around the joint.
Soldering is actually easy once you do a few. The only thing is sometimes you need about 5 hands to hold everything together before you hit it with the iron.

Lucky...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
as with anything, it's best to practice a bit first. It's not hard to heat the wire correctly, apply solder to the wire and let it melt the solder and then remove heat and let cool. It's also not hard to apply way too much heat and melt insulation away from wires, ruin a wire bundle OR apply too much heat at too low of a temperature heating everything including delicate IC parts (depending on location of project of course) Soldering is not hard, preparation isn't hard but necessary. Practice a must.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts