Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

Was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on riding with a passenger?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rules:
1. Get on first, start the engine, then the passenger may get on
2. Make sure the passenger wears gear
3. The passenger should remain on the pegs at all times even at lights
4. The passenger should get comfortable because they should not shift their weight while you are driving
5. The passenger can lean slightly on turns or remain completely upright
6. The passenger should always hold around your waist, or on your hips, but grab rails are best if you have them

Also starting and stopping take longer with additional weight so make sure you test it out first before going on big roads.

Make sure your tire pressure is adjusted properly for the weight

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
• Give yourself at least double your normal stopping distance for stopping.
• Leave extra space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
• Try to obey the suggested speed around turns with a passenger.
• Take off gently from stop signs and stop lights.
• Have a signal established between you and your passenger to let them know if you may need them to hold on tighter. With me and my GF, a double tap on her left leg means "HOld ON Tighter, about to do something I wouldn't normally do with a passenger." Which can be a rapid acceleration, a really curvy road ahead, or basically anything that you think that their saftey may be in jeopardy that may require a tighter grip.

Finally.....
• Let the passenger know, they are the designated back-pack wearer no matter how heavy or bulky :lol: ....J/K

·
Registered
31 Posts
what i did was i just got used to my ride then next thing u know i told my gf to jump on and rode...was hard at first cuz the extra weight..u gotta stop earlier and thottle a little quicker....just have to get use to it

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Adjust your suspension to accomodate the second passenger - you can add air to your forks and shock (don't use the gas station air pump to do so)

Tell your passenger that they should lean in the same direction as you. I rode with my ex gf and I was wondering why the bike was so hard to steer with her on the back and then I realized that I didn't tell her that! (she was always looking over the opposite shoulder of our turn)

My bad.

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Get a bigger bike---my 600 was seriously bogged down by the extra weight----and NO she wasn't huge either :roll: about 140lbs-----this bike is much worse than my old 650 for carrying a passenger.

I think the old bike had more low end torque and not near the top end of the new one-----I'm pretty much thinkin my new bike is for a single passenger only.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My cardinal rule for the passenger is "NO SUDDEN MOVES!" My bike is pretty light, so when my passenger leans over, or looks back, or switches from looking over my left shoulder to looking over my right, I can really feel the bike twist under me. It's very disconcerting if I don't know it's coming. If they do it slowly, it doesn't bother me at all.

I don't have any trouble with acceleration or braking, but I'm not a hot rod. For cornering, I like having the passenger lean with me. It feels natural to me. Often I hunker down and let the passenger look over my head instead of over my shoulder.

Some 250 riders put a stiffer shock in the rear, but I haven't needed it.

I like the leg tap idea.
Curt

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Here is some advice for your PASSANGER...

Ok, so obviously you are curious what to expect behind your significant other on their beloved work of art. Well here are a few tips that could ultimately make that scary thing the BOMB and make you guys closer in the process! Here is a big tip....When you are on your ride no matter how freaked out you get please don't cry. Suck it up and move on. Usually what scares you isn't the ride but more the speed and closeness to the pavement. Ask your S/O to start small, ride you around town for a while then move up to bigger things.

1. Start small, ride around town first, then work your way up to Sunday morning rides together.
2. Talk to your S/O, tell them your fears and concerns. Communication is essential. They won't know till you tell them. Tell him/her how fast you'd like to go and where to draw the line so they don't scare you to death in the first 5 minutes.
3. Expect hard or quick acceleration, these bikes pack a punch and you need to hang on!
4. Wear proper riding attire- Jeans, Jacket of a sturdy material, and definitely a shoe that covers the ankle, preferably boots and gotta have the gloves.
5. Learn what side to enter and exit the bike from- A hot exhaust can burn you if you get too close to it. Then, Sit on the back of the bike with them off of it to observe how you sit, let them give you a leaning test. Have him/her say "Ok let me see you lean right or left". Too much or too little could be very bad.
6. Prop yourself up on the gas tank- With your hands when you are under speed and hang on to him/her when they accelerate out of stop light or to pass a vehicle.
7. Know when to tuck in behind-If you allow them to go fast in places, be prepared to dodge the wind blast and tuck in behind him/her and hold on tightly to their waist.
8. Finally have a communication system- When to get off the bike in a parking lot, or If they're going too fast, you tap him/her hard on the thigh. If it's an emergency also have a slap or a punch so they know what's wrong and can pull over for you.
9. Best of all, have fun! I hope you enjoy it so you share something you both like and will not feel threatened by in the future.
10. Consider taking an entry level rider's class and learn to handle your own bike giving you both freedom and love for the same things. If you hate it, don't feel bad. At least you tried and you gave it your best shot!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
signals

I'm not big on communicators, music, any distractions, chatter...so When I ride I believe in hand signals/gestures. Some American sign language is great, but sometimes it is faster/easier if you use common signals that your group of friends know. I'm a diver so when I ride with my diving buddies we use some underwater signals, and with one of my buddies from 20 years ago we made them up and they are so easy that almost anyone could understand them. Pointing to gas tank, then thumbs up (I need gas) pointing to gas tank and shrugging shoulders (do we need or want to fill up), Pointing to the front of the seat means I need to stop (usually for bathroom), all four fingers touching thumb with movement to face/faceshield (FOOD!)...index finger to thumb (okay), moving hand up/down like a short dribble(give more space, usually for curves, prepairing for turns, sand, oil, rocks something on the surface of the road...) Make your signals fun and make sure that you go over them...it makes riding more fun and you don't have to have radios...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Personaly I like my rear cowling. I don't have to give rides then, muwahahaha.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
one-up

Green Knght, you can not become the Good Knight in shining armor with that hump behind your rump. Iowa has the women ripe for picking, and occasionally even a buddy needs to taken into town. No Girlfriend will want to set on that plastic hump for long...I know it looks cool with the big green blister behind you...but reconsider what you may be missing. How can you teach someone, or show them how it feels leaning into turns and powering out of them...? I know, IF'n she wants your company then there is always her pickup truck...or yours...
Just giving you a hard time cause you live so far out there. Yeah, I know, I live in Kansas...and I don't have a "Pretty bike", but my wife won't ride with me, so I'd probably have the blister pack, too. Seriously, you have a great looking machine. Back to the communications...when you ride with other people (?) you use hand gestures, or do you use communicators?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yeah, your right. Its fun giving some people a ride around. The thing I hate is random chicks just wanting a spin who are too scared to lean with the bike even if I tell them to. They about made me hit a curb a couple times. Thanks for the comments on my bike though :D I love it.

As for communication... I don't really ride with enough people or with the same people enough to get anything down like that. Mostly is hand signals though. I wish there were a few of you guys around here to cruise with. I get sick of every stop light being a competition with the next guy. Not that I don't think I can win, I just don't see the point to have to prove my bike is faster :p And no, I'm not just blowing smoke either. Check the specs out hehe.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/#kawasaki

I almost prefer to ride with the guys on cruisers so I'm not having to go off 1 wheel at every stop light. First comment I got out of every guy I ride with (super bikes) when I first got this bike was "wanna race?" Sure, I like to horse around sometimes but these kids are just wanting to get killed or their license revoked. Eh, time for me to get off the soap box :)

Oh yeah, and I do have a seat to repleace my rear cowling with if a friend wants to go for a ride. I just feel like I'm free and nimble again after they get off.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Thanks!

I do appreciate your feelings about the kids out there. I've witnessed some really STUPID and quite a bit of IGNORANCE in the way bikes are ridden in this area. One wheel launches, while a pocketbike beats them across the intersection! Standing up while doing wheelies...passing on blind hills and blind corners, crossing the centerline...even laying down on the bike feet on the rear pegs going in excess of 60MPH in a 35MPH zone IN TOWN! NO mufflers, just for the fun of it...a group of six riders scrambling away from the stoplight at Center and Main (HWY56) in Gardner, KS. My wife works for an attorney. Now that he retired as the City Prosecutor, he gets to represent and get tickets reduced (from moving violation) for up to triple the moving violation fee...all very easy money for him. Kids surfing on car tops and hoods in excess of 35MPH down the center of Town...And The greatest is watching them do burnouts at the stoplights, while the town cops are setting in the bank parking lot or Funeral home parking lot less than 100' away! No shirts, flip-flops, no shirts, no helmets (not required here)... Pulling/towing bicycles, skateboarders. Although I was young once, (I'm 51 now) I NEVER even wanted to do some of the things these guys are doing now. I work/volunteer my time at the musuem so I get by with wearing Levis (nice dark blue) and a long sleve shirt, but I wear a jacket, helmet, gloves and my military boots. I have a pair of shoes (loafers) at the Museum. Once I get there I can shed and stow the gear and still look presentable for our visitors. I'm in the serious process of selling my Pride and Joy, 1974 Camaro Type LT. I'm planning on a new Kawasaki, but still haven't set on the new 2005's...have to do that before I make a decision. The new 750 may be a consideration... Chat later...thanks again for not taking me all that serious. Iowa isn't that far away...may have to check out the flatlands...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hey, just so everyone knows that not all kids are stupid... I'm only 20. Now I will agree that quite a few need an eye opener and for most of them it will be a really bad crash. I've been down 2 times and I was lucky both were only at about 40 to 50 mph. And guess what... both times I was doing something stupid. First crash I took an S curve to fast and wiped out on the 2nd corner and the 2nd time down I was trying to show off and was doing some wheelies from the stop. I lost it and slid half a block down a street. I just hope the kids who don't realise what can happen will realise before they get hurt real bad. I walked away from both crashes with minor scraps, bruises, and pulled muscles. Not every lesson is worth learning the hard way. If you're not worried about yourself, atleast be worried about the beautiful bike you're on. I treat mine like its my girl. Wouldn't have it any other way now.

Safe riding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts