Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got the chance to take the new bike for a ride (2000 ex500) AND I LOVE IT!!!!! But I'm getting some roughness cruising between 4 & 5K rpm. It had sat for a year, so I drained the gas before it was started (bike was a friend of a friend's so I wasn't really worried about hearing it run before I bought it, felt better about getting that gas out instead) The bike is bone stock, I pulled the plugs (after noticing hesitation) & they looked fine, maybe a tad lean if anything. I'm trying to find a haynes or similar manual, but I've got nothing right now. I didn't check out the air filter as I was short on time. -The previous owner's husband worked at a Kawi dealer & just had them service it, so I assume it's not bad. I will check it out before the next ride though. I'd figure if it was dirty it'd create a rich condition & the plugs say no, so... Factory wires are kinda silly, they come right apart at the plug end so I'll get some new ones of those, but again plugs look good, so I'd have to assume they're firing ok. Maybe needs some carb cleaner since it sat for so long with fuel in it. What do you think?

·
Registered
380 Posts
From reading so much about people having troubles with bikes... I'd chance a guess that you need to tear the carbs out and clean them thoroughly. Pass a copper strand thru all your jets and make sure there isn't any varnish anywhere in there. Everytime a bike sits for a while with gas in the carb the gas leaves varnish... so kind of it.

Which actual jets are giving the hesitation, that's definately beyond my meager knowledge base.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scored a used V&H exhaust system on ebay, so I'll be rejetting anyhow. In the meantime has anyone had any luck with any fuel additive cleaners?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts