Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding the tires off my 2002 Drifter 1500. It's a 2002 and I've put every mile on it. It was put into operation just a month ago and I've noticed some things in the last couple of days that I hadn't noticed earlier, or weren't noticable earlier.

It seems like the pipes are getting broken in. Does this happen? The sound is somehow deeper and louder, but nothing like the sound from aftermarket pipes.

Also, there seems to be a little more overall vibration, which may me tied to the issue above.

Also, recently I've noticed that shifting from first to second that the sound is very noticable. A loud "clunk", but it doesn't sound that way all the time. Sometimes it's quite smooth. I've heard some clicking sound from the rear tire shaft area that reminds me of the sound of failing CV bearings on a front-wheel drive car when turning a corner. Again, this doesn't happen very often, but I've noticed it recently.

Any thoughts on any or all of these issues? Overall I just love this bike and I ride it as often as possible. No extended rides yet, but soon....soon.

Cheers,
John

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have a thought about the pipes, for what it's worth. They might be sounder deeper and louder because the packing is burning off the baffles. I know that you have to replace the packing ever so often (I don't know how often, though). When I bought my bike, the V&H Straightshots were way too loud for my taste, and I found out that the owner had taken the packing off the baffles. I bought new baffles and packed them. The pipes are a lot quieter now, although they still have a nice rumble.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the pipes will get a little louder and deeper after some miles-both my
bikes did

the 1st to 2nd clunk is prolly normal all my bikes do that to :lol:

the click i don't know - how many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
302 Posts
700 mile noise

JR,
On the 02 classic one of the inherant problems was a clicking from the rear hub. My dealer said that there was a notice sent out about it to the dealers. Not all bikes have this , but it is eaisily fixed usually at the first service by tacking off the rear wheel and greaseing the hub, this service was provided for me under warranty and solved the clicking problem.
Hope This Helps!
Lonestar

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. 700 miles and I'm so in love with this bike. Drifter gets a lot of looks...even from a couple of HD guys that didn't want me to seem them peeking at it...LOL.

I'll have my mechanic take a look at the rear hub sometime this week. Gonna have him give the bike a thorough going over just to make sure everything is all good.

I must admit this was my second choice bike (wanted a Fat Boy something awful...and may still buy one someday) but I'm totally please with it. Gonna keep it for a long time and just ride and ride and ride!

Cheers,
John

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
fatboy

glad you went with the VN instead of the fatboy. i think you would have been disappointed with the fatboy. i will admit that they are a nice looking bike, but i have run out of fingers counting the complaints i have heard about them. haven't had that happen with my nomad ! enjoy your ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts