Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of getting an '06 or '07 650R. I'm not so fond of the two-tone of the '06 but there are pretty good deals on them. Hubby has really gotten hooked on the Kawasaki green and says I should go for the '08 in green. The '08s also have that nice black frame. Of course I will be spending $1500-$2000 more for the '08 than a used '06. Hubby is such a bad influence. Now I really want the green. It's sooo purty. Somebody stop me. Arrrgghhhh.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Hahaha, it fits you well.... try and get a matching helmet and such so that you can match the bike like you almost do in the pic!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Sorry Wendy. Having good taste always costs you...

IMO, the ONLY color for Kawi sportbikes is the green
(Gotta be true to your school)...

Plus, notice how awesome you look on the green machine!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't you just get the 250r?
Why are you upgrading so soon? Don't you like it?
Because I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my car and upgrading the bike is cheaper :tongue:

I also want something a little more modern looking. I really got the 250 to learn on as a starter bike and I've put 800+ miles on it and it has served me well. I probably have more to learn, but I am impatient and it's Christmas time and I am feeling kinda crazy.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Do it, Wendy. The green is gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I say go with the 650, i had the 250 and despite what people say.... im with ya.... it may be a great bike to learn on.... but you get "antsy" fast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I was thinking of getting an '06 or '07 650R. I'm not so fond of the two-tone of the '06 but there are pretty good deals on them. Hubby has really gotten hooked on the Kawasaki green and says I should go for the '08 in green. The '08s also have that nice black frame. Of course I will be spending $1500-$2000 more for the '08 than a used '06. Hubby is such a bad influence. Now I really want the green. It's sooo purty. Somebody stop me. Arrrgghhhh.

For the price difference, buy new! That way you know what you are getting. Looks to suit you well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
To be honest 800 miles is not nearly enough experience on the road and I'd hold off buying new. I had 1000 miles before my first lay down and 10000 before my first accident.

Get to know the bike well and minimize your chances of laying down a new 650. Buy some good rubber, pirellis or Metzlers, and really see what the 250 is capable of in the twisties. If you haven't dragged a knee or two then yes, you do have more to learn. At the very minimum, a track day to see exactly how far you can push the bike is in order.

Passing your friends on their 600 supersports with an inferior bike because they can't ride them is the most satisfying feeling in the world.

·
Registered
122 Posts
To be honest 800 miles is not nearly enough experience on the road and I'd hold off buying new. I had 1000 miles before my first lay down and 10000 before my first accident.

Get to know the bike well and minimize your chances of laying down a new 650. Buy some good rubber, pirellis or Metzlers, and really see what the 250 is capable of in the twisties. If you haven't dragged a knee or two then yes, you do have more to learn. At the very minimum, a track day to see exactly how far you can push the bike is in order.

Passing your friends on their 600 supersports with an inferior bike because they can't ride them is the most satisfying feeling in the world.
So she should wait for 11,000 miles before upgrading?

Wendy are you doing knee dragging twisties?

I disagree with this! But I guess if she is doing knee dragging twisties maybe then. I dunno......

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No, Im not saying wait 10,000 miles, or 5,000, or 30,000.

But more than 800. She hasn't gotten to know the bike at all. I've rode 800 miles in a weekend.

And a 250 is perfectly capable of going low enough to drag a knee. If she hasn't done that, or at the very least taken the bike to a track day, she hasn't rode it to its potential.

Therefore, she's upgrading to a new bike not because she's outgrown it, but for the sake of upgrading. She said so herself, and she was asking for an opinion. She also realizes she probably has more to learn.

You don't wear your shoes for a month then sell them and buy a new pair, do you? I mean you could but it wouldn't make much sense.

A better example is, you don't buy a guitar, play for a week, then sell it and buy a more expensive guitar, thinking you'll get better if you're playing a more expensive model. Right?

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts

But more than 800. She hasn't gotten to know the bike at all. I've rode 800 miles in a weekend.

And a 250 is perfectly capable of going low enough to drag a knee. If she hasn't done that, or at the very least taken the bike to a track day, she hasn't rode it to its potential.

Therefore, she's upgrading to a new bike not because she's outgrown it, but for the sake of upgrading. She said so herself, and she was asking for an opinion. She also realizes she probably has more to learn.

You don't wear your shoes for a month then sell them and buy a new pair, do you? I mean you could but it wouldn't make much sense.

A better example is, you don't buy a guitar, play for a week, then sell it and buy a more expensive guitar, thinking you'll get better if you're playing a more expensive model. Right?
I've lifted the peg on my 250r, so it'll get pretty **** low, but I don't own any pants w/ pucks so I'm not sticking my knee out. 800 miles isn't much at all... I put 5200 on my 250 from july-Oct 3 when I got my ZZR, then another 991 on the ZZR from Oct 3 - the middle of november when I effectively quit riding any amount.

·
Registered
122 Posts

For one reason or another, she feels the need to upgrade.

If I buy a pair of shoes and they are not doing what I want, granted I haven't run a marathon in them to max them out to their full potential. Yeah, I would get another pair.

Exactly the same with the guitar. Maybe I haven't mastered a spot on MTV but if it isn't doing what I want it to do, I would upgrade.

Cost only matters for budget purposes. Get what is going to work better for you, what you will like.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
But if you don't know how to play guitar how do you know it's not YOU that isn't capable of doing what you want? Why do you think buying another will improve your ability? It's a silly train of thought, assuming your fingers will get faster if you buy a Fender Strat.

Again, if she'd put 5000 miles on the bike it would be another story. She'd have the experience to know if the bike isn't peaking her interest. Anything more than 800 miles. She hasn't even rode it enough to warrant an oil change yet. Let alone new tires (which can totally change the characteristics of any bike, especially if upgrading from stock).

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is a beautiful bike. Makes me want to upgrade from my 250r too. IMO I would probably say to hold off til you have more miles under your belt. i have about 3000 miles under my belt and i dont think i'm ready to upgrade yet, (mainly due to having some close calls that could have ended worse on a bigger bike.) But then again only you know your riding skill so only you can make the choice. I know my skill is not high enough to upgrade just yet maybe next christmas

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If the dealership would've had the the 650R in that Kawi-Green last Monday, that's what would be in the garage right now instead of the black Z1000...so you're in good company when it comes color choice.:wink:

However, I'm with JimmyD on the timing of the upgrade. 800 miles just isn't enough riding to gain much experience. If experience plays into any part of decision to move up, then wait...the Kawi-Green 650's will be around all year and the good deals will keep coming up for the used ones (believe me I know, I've been watching CL for months now). If the only issue at hand is budget--and that doesn't seem to be the case--then move up.

On retrospect for myself at least, these are a few things that I realized were indicators that it was time for me to move up from the 500R:

• Consistently trying to shift up to "7th" gear in search of more power when riding the freeway.
  • Consistently taxing the suspension when braking; not for panic stopping--simply reaching a point where you abilities demand a bike that doesn't have "mushy" handling when braking.
  • Being able to take 35mph turns in the twisties at 65mph and feeling the bike reaching it's limits.
  • Being able to take a 90 degree, uncambered turn on level ground (not uphill or down) in either direction going 45 mph.
  • Being able to control the speed of the bike sans brakes via gear choice in the twisties going downhill.

If you can do all of those, you're probably ready for a 1000 because I found out that I was. Believe me, I can totally relate to wanting that new, bigger bike right now because I went through it myself. Just be honest with yourself: do you want the bigger bike because it looks nice--or do you want it because your skills have outgrown your current bike.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts