Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That just sounds like the beginning to a very bad joke!!

But I am serious. I took my back brakes apart this weekend so I could put no-squeal them. Job went great and the brakes feel and sound much better. anyone who is experiencing a squeal (more of a lower piched moan really) right at the end of a braking event (those last few feet when you are not holding the brakes very tight). You too can have quiet bike that does not sound like a bovine mating call at stops. Just get you a container of brake anti squeal stuff (orange goop in a small bottle).

Back to the nipples (makes ya giggle just typing it:p). the front brake mechanisn does not have these two nipples. Also every guide to a brke change for my bike I can find just deals with the front brakes as if the two mechanisms were the same. Nope, similar, but not the same.

My question is this. What should the schedule for greasing this be and what grease should I use to do it. Also how do I tell when the thing is full.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Them is fer bleeding the brakes. If you back bleed you'll need to have a pump to push the fluid through those nipples and up into the resevoir where you'll have to remove it. If you bleed it forward you put a hose on those nipples(schrader type valves) open em up a quarter turn and squeeze the brake and pump the fluid out. You'll need to add to the resevoir and not let it go empty while you're doing this. When the fluid out equals the fluid you put in You is done. Tighten and get on down the road.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MrClean,
Thanks, One O' these days I'm gonna have to get me a Shop manual. Shoulda done it already but this is the first WFTis that that I have come across.

Barry

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There are 3 zerts on the bottom of the bike for the swingarm. Thats it though.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I have heard these three zerts are a point of concern. I just read up on this yesterday while catching up on my forum time. Sounds as if they are very poorly placed, And something to be careful of if lowering, trailering or anything that could come close to the bottom of the frame. Seems to be one of the few WTF design flaws for this bike.

Barry

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, when I wrote that I thought it sounded funny. I'm gonna blame mental lazyness for not bothering to fix it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
So herk says zerk huh? Well let me just get this page outta the manual for you that says, and I quote

"•For the rocker arm it has grease nipples [A] on the rocker arm for lubrication. Force grease into the nipple until it comes out both sides of the rocker arm, and wipe off any excess."
Well that doesn't settle it, so on to the parts order form of Ron Ayers which says 49001

49001-0001 NIPPLE-GREASE
DANGIT!!!

So, off for a web search

Wiki says
"Zerk The patent for the Zerk fitting was granted to Oscar Zerk in January 1929."
ALRIGHT MR. SMARTYPANTS!!! You win. This time.

Muuhhhhhaaaahaha , Muuuaahhhahahahaha.

Just you wait and SEE.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MrClean just proves what graceful losers we forumers can be. Well on some topics. Others we argue about endlessly.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I just find it funny that there is currently both a post on Grease Nipples and Neutral Finder Balls going at the same time. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts