Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I took my ninja out for its first real ride today (summer where I am) and after 1/2 an hour the outsides of my hands were real sore. I have never owned a sports bike before, just cruiser style bikes.
It seems I dont like the position of the handlebars on the ninja. any way to change a ninjas bars so they are straighter ...or is it just that I have not ridden for a few years.

Also another thing....seems the bike just dont like slow!

·
Registered
96 Posts
make sure there is no pressure on your hands. Squeeze the tank with your knees more to support yourself. It might be sore for a week then after that you will be allright. Keep the balls of you feet on the pegs and move your butt back some, it will help keep the pressure off you hands on the bars.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Handle bar risers, better known as Helibars, will bring them up.
+1. You definitely put more pressure on your hands/wrists on the sport bikes. My 650R is a much more upright position so it doesn't kill my hands or wrists. My hubby is getting a more upright sport bike after he sold his Aprilia Falco. I guess 35 is older than you think.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No, they don't like slow. The faster you go, the more stable and happier they are. The first thing anyone should do with a bike is set up the controls for themselves. I've never owned a bike that I didn't need to rotate the levers lower on, and the foot controls usually go lower as well. Depending on which Ninja you have, you may be able to rotate the bars a bit to suit your preferences. I had to lower mine, and rotate them forward so my wrists weren't kinked sideways.

Also remember not to lean on your hands. Use your knees against the tank and your back muscles to hold yourself up. You should be able to hover your hands over the bars without needing to fall forward and support yourself. The less weight you have on the bars, the better it'll steer. :wink:

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
well, I took my ninja out for its first real ride today (summer where I am) and after 1/2 an hour the outsides of my hands were real sore. I have never owned a sports bike before, just cruiser style bikes.
It seems I dont like the position of the handlebars on the ninja. any way to change a ninjas bars so they are straighter ...or is it just that I have not ridden for a few years.

Holding on to tight...Riding posture is also different and puts weight on the palms and wrist. Ease up on the grip and change them out as well. ProGrip 719 are great. You will get used to it.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

No streetbike likes being ridden slow...My 10R just wants to go...Even at idle RPM if I let go off the clutch, that thing goes.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
make sure there is no pressure on your hands. Squeeze the tank with your knees more to support yourself. It might be sore for a week then after that you will be allright. Keep the balls of you feet on the pegs and move your butt back some, it will help keep the pressure off you hands on the bars.
Good places to start. I also had to try various grips. I found the ones by Spider Grips worked the best for me.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Welcome to the world of SuperSports! From what I understand, you have described a common side effect from buying a rocket of-a-bike. Me? I considered a SuperSport for about ten seconds. I sat on one and I realized that my 40 y/o back wouldn't last beyond two red lights with all of up-and-down, up-and-down. And my gut hitting the tank?...that's just embarrasing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also remember not to lean on your hands. Use your knees against the tank and your back muscles to hold yourself up. You should be able to hover your hands over the bars without needing to fall forward and support yourself. The less weight you have on the bars, the better it'll steer. :wink:

Thanks guys....went on a 2 hr ride today up through the hills and used your advice...Result- my hands are not sore....A+ to both of ya:biggrin:

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
haha try riding a 636 or a 675! Then I'll have some sympathy!:biggrin:

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I have the same bike as eidian...I still squeeze the tank to lighten the pressure. If I want to ride fast I rest my gut on the tank, and try to get my head lower than the windscreen....eidian may get that comment lol

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
+1. You definitely put more pressure on your hands/wrists on the sport bikes. My 650R is a much more upright position so it doesn't kill my hands or wrists. My hubby is getting a more upright sport bike after he sold his Aprilia Falco. I guess 35 is older than you think.
Wendy!!!! :eek: I'm telling Fabian!!!!!!

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
You can also replace the bars completely and put a dirtbike bar on it like the streetfighters use. Just a thought. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
You need to learn how to sit on it right... its not a horse or a cruiser it's a sportbike. You keep you *** as far back as possible then your arm's won't bend as much. balls of your feet on the pegs and not any other part of your foot. Then grip the tank with your knees. If you are riding it right i should be able to come by and knock your hands off the bars by barely touching them. Rest your hands on the bars don't grip them. After a few days you get used to it and it doesn't hurt anymore. I can ride my 636 10 hours and not be sore

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm 6'5" and its more comfortable for me to be as close to the gas tank as possible. That said, the first time I hit a bad bump I was not properly "adjusted" and almost fell off due to the pain. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts