Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a partial debaffle even though I don't like the popping on deceleration, I would not consider the full debaffle becasue I don't want that much noise, just was wondering that those of you that.. didn't.. do the complete... gutting ..of the OEM exhaust if you are having second thoughts, do any of you have a annual state inspection for noise issues, just for grins whats your age.........me I am 62. I know you youngsters like um loud!

thanks

VN900/LT Delphi - Knowledge Base

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
I took my 16 yr old daughter out for a ride last night. We hit the highway and could still carry on a conversation with each other as we did before the mod.

Interesting though, I never told her I did the pipes. When we first took off the line under acceleration, she asked if I did something to the bike because it sounded better.

Given that teens are always smarter than their parents, I took it as a compliment. ;-)

Ersterhernd

·
Kawabunga dudes!
230 Posts
From one who has gone to Step 4 (full debaffle), I wish I had stopped at Step 2 (drilled baffle cap) as after that it sounded like the cheapest set of speakers at high volume I have ever heard. Step 2 is ideal IMO as you get a bit louder idle, a nice rumble at cruise speed and a noticable roar when you crack on the throttle. I now have V&H slashcuts, wrapped in muffler fibreglass, and they sound much better overall, but if I had my time over again I would have stopped at Step 2, maybe Step 3 with the stockers and have been done with it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wanted to take it one step at a time since I knew there wasnt any way to go back once you completed a step. After removing the end caps I drilled just 4 holes in the baffle ends and started the bike. To me it was perfect sound. Like Ersterhernd said it has a nice rumble at idle, not real loud at cruising speeds but if you crack the throttle at take of it barks a bit. (IMO). I dont plan on going any further.. btw.. I am 46.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you really need a 1 ft long ...1/2 in drill to reach in and drill the holes?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I used a standard 1/2" drill and bit. I cut off the pipe and it reached right in there far enough to drill the holes with no trouble.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If I remember correctly I only needed the 1ft extension to drill the rear screen out and just used regular 1/2 drill bit for the holes in the rear of the baffles.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Do you really need a 1 ft long ...1/2 in drill to reach in and drill the holes?
Personally I'd just get a long piece of pipe or rebar and knock it out. If you have to buy the tools, you'll waste $20.00-$30.00 on tools you'll probably never use again. Also you won't risk the hole saw coming loose from the extension and being lodged in the baffle.....it's happened!

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I started with step 1, drilled the screen out. not enough
did step two, only 4 holes both plates. not enough
drilled to 8 holes, both plates. *still* not enough :)
asked my neighbor (hes in his 80's) if he heardme in the morning (sometimes leave at 3:30 am, sometimes 4:30, sometimes 5:30) and he said "never"
so I gutted'm!! he still doesnt hear me when i leave.
I still continue to get compliments on te sound, and most of my riding buddies ride HD's.
do I regret it?? not at all.
oh, and im a 48 yr old youngster !

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the step 2 today I used a dremel tool to cut a hack saw blade to fit a hand held jig saw, worked great, drilled the 8 holes fired it up plenty loud enough. Poping on deceleration was at a minimal.

I think its possible to quite it down for noise level laws at license plate time by fabing up a circular plate to cover the 8 holes I drilled in the baffle. If that law were enacted in my state.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did the 8 hole thing... fixing to gut it... Girlfriend hurt my fragile feelings :^P . Told her what I did and she asked to hear it... put the phone near the rear of the pipes idled.....revved.... got back on and asked what she thought...
Reply: "What did you do? Doesn't sound different at all and sounds like your rev'ing a car" ....OUCH! Only thing I could ask was "Big car or little car....nevermind don't answer.... next week the baffles are gone!"
And I am a very young 34

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gutted mine on my 900, Sounded good. Then got cobra speedster shorts, and bam! love it. Wish I would have left the stockers alone, in case smog checks start happening in calif.

·
Kawabunga dudes!
230 Posts
Did the 8 hole thing... fixing to gut it... Girlfriend hurt my fragile feelings :^P . Told her what I did and she asked to hear it... put the phone near the rear of the pipes idled.....revved.... got back on and asked what she thought...
Reply: "What did you do? Doesn't sound different at all and sounds like your rev'ing a car" ....OUCH! Only thing I could ask was "Big car or little car....nevermind don't answer.... next week the baffles are gone!"
And I am a very young 34
I wouldn't place too much stock in a phone sound bite. Get her to hear it in the flesh before you crack that drill out.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yea the phone has an adjustment circuit much like most MP3 recorders. Your pipes will sound the same on the recording but in real life they are totally different. Full debaffle on mine, does kinda sound like a car, the fastback from Bullit! I can still hear it from last summer, coming down off the highway after 2 hours at 80 mph to fuel, stretch and get back down the road. BRAAAAAAaaaaaaarrrrrrr...... Not so loud as to wear on ya, enough to let you know it's there, its hitting solid and everything is alright. That counted around 11:30 when I was in the canyons it was black and the only other vehicle I'd seen in an hour was the car I was following around the curves.

But I understand some folks are more sensitive than others. if you go to far pipes are on Ebay all the time for about 100 bucks. I have two sets. One is stock and the other I have on now. I ran stock all winter and put the gutted on for summer about a month ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts