Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, Please HELP!! I was wondering if i could get some kind of picture that displays wich spark plug goes were on my 1982 kz550. I took the whole bike apart to paint and got everything but that back together. it took me all winter to paint this bike so its from a lack of memory what goes were.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
Cylinders are numbered 1-4, left to right. Left to right is always viewed as seated on the bike.

Coil that mounts on the left goes to 2 & 3:
Left post - #2
Right post - #3

Coil that mounts on the right goes to 1 & 4:
Left post - #1
Right post - #4

Usually the coil wires are marked where they go. In case your's aren't, it might be a safe bet to say the coil with the longest & shortest wires mounts on the right since it would have to reach over to the #1 cylinder & only the short distance to #4.

Not sure if this helps - hopefully someone will chime in & confirm.

:cool:

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I'm going to guess that Bryan is right as I think those years were pretty much the same on all the inline fours. As for the firing order, it's 1, 2, 4, 3, but in actual practice plugs 1 & 4 fire together as do plugs 2 & 3. One cylinder is firing every 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation and its paired cylinder is firing "dead" on the exhaust stroke.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
I usually take pictures as I do things to help me see how things were, that way I don't worry too much if I can't remember!
Yea - the digital age is great for this. Snap some pics - especially of the electrical stuff if you think the bike will be apart for a couple of weeks, which usually turns into 2 months...

O - and glad it all worked out!

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts