Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vulcan 900 custom and was thinking about replacing my spark plugs. Does anyone know what the torque and gap spec is on the spark plugs and what a good spark plug for the Vulcan is?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
NGK CPR7EA-9 or 3901 is what is called for. Both numbers are the same plug. I don't remember the gap, but its in the owners manual. As for torque. Tighten it but dont stand on the wrench. I have never had any issues taking them out when changing plugs.

·
Lost but making good time
73 Posts
Owners Manual on the 900 LT lists it as:

0.8 - 0.9 mm (.032 - .036 in)
13 ft-lb

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't forget the anti-seize on the plug threads and chances are good you won't remove the threads in the head the next time you remove the plugs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How complicated of a procedure is this? Do you have to remove the gas tank?
No. There is a spark plug tool in your toolkit that will bend and allow you to get these out without removing the tank. If you do not have this tool, you probably would need to remove the tank.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
How complicated of a procedure is this? Do you have to remove the gas tank?
I use a regular plug socket with a 4 inch extension. I put that down in the front cylinder first then attach the socket wrench.

Now for the rear cylinder I do remove the tank bolts so I can lift the tank up a bit and then set in on my arm and then its easy to change.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm about to change plugs on my 900.. Any pics how to use that "tool" that we have with bike, so that we don't need to remove tank?.. or maybe just pic of that tool?..

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
I'm about to change plugs on my 900.. Any pics how to use that "tool" that we have with bike, so that we don't need to remove tank?.. or maybe just pic of that tool?..
This is not ment to offend you so please dont be offended, its just good solid advice.

if you cant pick out a spark plug socket out of a 10-12 tool kit that comes with the bike, or once you find said tool you need instructions on how to use it you shouldnt be considering replacing the plugs on your bike yourself.

·
Registered
574 Posts

And yeah, understand what your doing, and don't strip it out or break the plug off in the engine, and end up paying way more than having someone help you or do it for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is not ment to offend you so please dont be offended, its just good solid advice.

if you cant pick out a spark plug socket out of a 10-12 tool kit that comes with the bike, or once you find said tool you need instructions on how to use it you shouldnt be considering replacing the plugs on your bike yourself.
Ok, all I wanted to ask using my poor english (sorry) is - is the tank removal for the rear plug necesary?.. thanx

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
I have a Vulcan 900 custom and was thinking about replacing my spark plugs. Does anyone know what the torque and gap spec is on the spark plugs and what a good spark plug for the Vulcan is?
I just changed mine out and used NGK CPR7EAIX-9 you can get them at SPARKPLUGS.COM same plug as OEM but with iridium tip, little pricey but a much smoother ride and well worth the price, they come pregaped at .035.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought NGK CPR7EA-9 in some local moto shop here in Croatia...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts