Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '02 500R for my first bike and it runs like crap and stalls unless the engine is really warmed up. It also takes longer to warm up than my friends '01 500R. We are going to try replacing the spark plugs tomorrow and hope that this resolves the issue. What do you all think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it can't run til it's warmed up et al - maybe carb jetting, I'd say.

Engines need fuel, spark, and air in order to run - excesses or losses of any in the extreme will cause probs, no matter what you're playing with.

For a new bike like that, and probs...just take it to a mechanic that knows what he's doing, and save yourself a lot of trouble for now.

I'd say, given my pretty limited knowledge, that it's just running too rich.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spoke too fast; as with anything you buy that can run and stuff - replace spark plugs, wires, air filter. Fuel filter I'd do just to make sure.

Change oil and filter after you're very sure of what you need in it - you can cope with bad running, but no running at all isn't so good for ya.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
rageous said:
I bought a '02 500R for my first bike and it runs like crap and stalls unless the engine is really warmed up. It also takes longer to warm up than my friends '01 500R. We are going to try replacing the spark plugs tomorrow and hope that this resolves the issue. What do you all think?
What is your bike idiling at? Your idle may need to be adjusted. But I would agree with pretender....sounds like a jetting problem. I used to have to use my choke quite a bit to get my bike warmed up. I rejetted (stage 1) and put a full 2-1 exhaust on. Haven't used choke since. Does your bike have an aftermarket exhaust or been rejetted at all?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
pretender said:
Spoke too fast; as with anything you buy that can run and stuff - replace spark plugs, wires, air filter. Fuel filter I'd do just to make sure.

Change oil and filter after you're very sure of what you need in it - you can cope with bad running, but no running at all isn't so good for ya.

Best of luck.
Also clean the carbs, this is very important. There can be junk in the main jets or pilot jets. Pull the jets out and make sure they are very clean. I'd soak them in carb cleaner overnight and spray them out in the morning. Install a inline fuel filter, it can save you a lot of headaches later on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed the spark plugs, oil, and oil filter today and it's running great. Takes no time at all to warm up now. When I can get it back over to my friends we will check out the carbs. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll hitch my questions on to this thread...seems to fit well! Long story, so my apologizes ahead of time.

I have a '97 500R (all stock) that I bought last summer with 2600 miles on it. It seemed like a good deal, and was a good bike for me to learn on. I ended up (stupidly) running it out of gas, and shortly thereafter developed an EXTREMELY rough idle. I took it to a bike shop and they said a carb needle was stuck, dumping fuel into the engine, flooding it out. $300 and 3 weeks later I had my bike back, but it didn't run quite right (very good mind you, but not like it was). After winter storage it ran rough and required higher RPMs in a given gear to attain a given speed than before. A few weeks ago I put new plugs in it and it solved many of my problems, but it tends to idle a little rough on start and has an off-idle dead spot in the throttle.

I got taken by the shop I had the original work done at, so never again there. The bike still runs well, but not like I think it should. In retrospect I forgot to gap the plugs (don't have an owner's manual), but it shouldn't have a dead spot in the throttle. I'm thinking I may need to change jets, or at the very least to clean them. I may go ahead and put a K&N air filter on before winter (would that require a rejet?), and probably that inline fuel filter too :D I've thought about upgrading to a SV650S, but my bike is paid for and is cheap fun while I finish out school and start paying off student loans. I don't need a superbike, just a toy...and my 500R is plenty.

My father is a mechanic, and I have a decent background in VW and small block Chevy engines, but I don't know much about motorcycle engines. Any and all help would be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
BoilerUP said:
In retrospect I forgot to gap the plugs (don't have an owner's manual. I may go ahead and put a K&N air filter on before winter (would that require a rejet?),quote]

We just changed the plugs on my friend's 02 500r. We did not have to adjust the plug gap when we did. It was right on right out of the box. We got the plugs from a dealer, so if you did too, maybe you got lucky on that. I am reading around the web that even though K&N says you don't need a rejet with their filter, you actually do. Any increase in flow would cause things to lean out causing power band issues. Check out what Edgar has said on the subject here:
http://www.classicbikes.com/ex500racing.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts