Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to encourage any irresponsible driving but I'm curious to know if anyone has found the top end on an 04 636? I pushed 144 on a staight track in my area. I have some fellow riders claiming 150 but we don't have that kind of pavement around here. Anyone else had any track time that knows the actual top end. I know I'm going to get some backlash for this question. Just looking for some past experiences. Please don't go out and try this on the highway!!

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
I have done 120 on my bike. Was still accelerating when my friend who was leading let off. I want to know what the bike can do, but am terrified of falling at those speeds. And it is so loud going that fast.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It's not time

It not the time it takes to fall that is pretty short, it's the time that you slide that seems forever... Been down on the back stretch of a track a couple of times and at about 100MPH I slid much farther than my bike did. It didn't hurt th ebike as it just kept getting lower and lower as I kept rolling on the throttle...finally we were both on the ground...I can only imagine at speeds in excess that you would continue to slide a lot longer distance,,,hopefully down the middle of the track. The highways areound here aren't very straight...so getting off the pavement might provide some gravel then sky, ground,sky,ground and put you in an rolling motion that would get beyond just getting dizzy...specially when the highway turns and drops offs or shelf rock happens so fast...you might not wake up...R U Sure your tires are good enough for this? Just asking...making sure...Don't try this at home...kinda' thing...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've had my ZX-9R up to 180. Its a great rush. Not something I do regularly or anywhere near other objects.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I have a zx-600E, and the guy who I bought it from (is a cop) told me he once got it up to 240km/h, so I guess thats about 150mph. Very reassuring to know my bike went that fast and it was a COP driving it!! haha.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I thought they were still riding horses out there..... Where is Dudley Dooright when you need him! JK :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Green Knight said:
I've had my ZX-9R up to 180. Its a great rush. Not something I do regularly or anywhere near other objects.
I've done a buck forty on my 7, and I think it still had a little left but not too much with the smaller gear up front. What have you gotten your 7 up to?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh, and I've done 148 on my buddies 02 CBR600.

·
Registered
380 Posts
An "indicated" 110 on the speedo, probably much closer to 100 though. Not bad for a 250 carrying it's displacement in pounds ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
110?

110? Did you run out of steam? the mags all say that the 500 will only do 133 because it doesn't have enough power to pull it to redline in 6th...Is this true...in it's stock off the showroom floor and properly broken in condition...??? Just curious...seems to me that perhaps some work massaging the bike is in order...Aerodynamic changes would help much of this, better breathing in/out would help...of course changing jets because of the less restrictive improvements...or is a gear change required to hit redline in sixth? I re-read this today at a bookstore reviewing the Kawasaki's (all the bikes...) and had to ask...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
topend

not enough timing (advance) or to much tire for the gears, ...serious curious... bikeaholic, rednek426...anyone???

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
01zx7r said:
Green Knight said:
I've done a buck forty on my 7, and I think it still had a little left but not too much with the smaller gear up front. What have you gotten your 7 up to?
I had my 7 up to about 160. That was with a lot of running room though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats insane (180)! I was scared doing 140 in my car! how do bikes handle at those speeds? I only have exp with cars at high speeds, and they seem to get really lose or tight and hard to change lanes (Not like you would want to move the bars that that speed though)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
corolla said:
Thats insane (180)! I was scared doing 140 in my car! how do bikes handle at those speeds? I only have exp with cars at high speeds, and they seem to get really lose or tight and hard to change lanes (Not like you would want to move the bars that that speed though)
Its very hard to change direction at all at that speed. At that speed the only way in hell you are going to change your direction is counter steering. No amount of leaning will get it done. Not that I would want to. I like to stay out of the draft going over my bike at that speed. My helmet gets forced into my face as it is.

Trust me. You want to make sure your bike is up to the task of this. Good tires that are rated for those speeds, oil levels correct and enough coolant. Plus if you get a wobble at that speed you are toast. Friend of mine when down doing 80 once with full gear on. Spent about 30 seconds bouncing on his head and 4 hours in the emergency room.

·
Registered
99 Posts
corolla said:
I don't have much experience with other bikes, but I can tell you on a zx-7, as long as you tuck down it is smooth as glass when you are going that fast. (well, I haven't done 180, but often do 130) It seems like the faster you go on that bike the smoother it gets. Keep in mind though, this is a very heavy bike, so I'm sure that accounts for much of the smoothness at speed. My buddies CBR felt a bit twitchy when I was doing almost 150 on it. I don't think I have ever tried to change lanes when going that fast. Usually, it is out in the open on a straight away with nothing around and no need to switch lanes.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts