Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Bike type is on my sig. My speedo is like 5 mph or so off FAST. running new stock size tires and not sure it was ever right anyway.

Any one know anything other than pacing yourself with someone and keeping the variance in mind < already have >

I wanna fix this

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Buy a bicycle speedometer and add it to your display. They are more accurate.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine is off, too. Motorcycle speedometers in general have a reputation for being not very accurate. My theory is that manufacturers deliberately calibrate them high so that people are less likely to speed so much.

If your speedometer pickup is on the front wheel (like my Ninja 250) then you could put a larger tire on the front to bring your displayed speed down closer to real speed. But then you have other considerations, like how that will affect handling. This is really a big change just to get a more accurate speedometer, but you might consider this if you want a larger front tire for other reasons.

If you know exactly how much you are off, you MIGHT be able to take your speedometer to a speedometer shop and have them change a gear or something in there. I've heard that it can be done, but I doubt it's really worth doing.

Like 1Adam12 said, you can buy a bicycle speedometer. Lots of people do that. I put a Schwinn LCD speedometer ($10 at Wal-mart) on my son's bike. It has a maximum display of 99.9 (MPH or KPH). You can easily calibrate it to any size wheel. If my Ninja speedometer bothered me, I would go this route.

The ultimate (and most expensive) option is to get a GPS speedometer. They are highly accurate, and need no calibration. But they are slow to respond to speed changes.

In my opinion, the best option is to just live with it. As long as you know how far off you are, what's the big deal?
Curt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts