Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving today and all of a sudden my speedometer stopped working and my odometer quit turning. Is it possible that it just needs to be greased or do I need to buy a whole new cable and grease that? Or is there something I can do like clean the wheel so that my speedo works?

My Comp is down but I'll be check back at work and at a few friends house, hope to hear about it soon.

Stew

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same issue happen to me. The speedo cable is pretty easy to check, just unscrew both end and look. Turn one end by hand. If it turns, then the cable is ok, maybe just some grease.

Was there a sharp bend in the cable? Mine had one and the cable broke.

It may also just have unscrewed from the vibration...

By the way, if you grease it up, make sure there's no grease in the upper 2-3 inches to ensure that that grease doesn't enter the intrument panel and "glues" the internal mechanism in there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine has unscrewed itself from the back of the guage cluster twice in 2500 miles. Kinda aggravating, especially since my bike is an '04 yet the same design has been used for ages.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to unscrew it from behind the speedo and it turned pretty well there, I was unable to get it at the bottom because there's a big freakin disc there :) I'll have to try and get that tonight when I get back from work...What type of grease do I put on/in the cable?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After further Dissection of my speedo cable, I found it was broken in two, I never replaced that during the rebuild so I'd say that 22 years is probably old enough to replace it. While I'm at it and once I get more money I'll replace the brake line and clutch cable too.

Stew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts