Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a fear of bugs or spiders?

Anyways, so I live deep in the woods and there are spiders all over the place, especially in the garage. That's where my bikes and riding gear are stored. So one day I decide to go riding, and I'm going up these tight twisties - then I feel something feathery light brushing up against my chin then up to my lips and towards my nose. I'm thinking SPIDER ATTACK!!!!! I can't take either of my hands off the handlebars and I don't want to open my mouth to blow at it (don't want it crawling into my mouth), and I don't want to breathe in (for fear that I'll suck it into my nose). So I'm making these stupd little blowing noises thru my nose and I'm totally freaked out.

I get to the top of Rattlesnake Lake and rip off my helmet, start slapping at my face and shaking my hair around, people must of thought I was nuttier than squirrel poop. Oh, I never found the spider, must of been a loose strand of hair. I'm a weenie!

Miki

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm generally content to let spiders alone, if they don't actually crawl on my person. I'll even rescue them from my dog, who seems bent on the destruction of all their species. I generally put them out in the garage.

Often I find one sitting on my bike and I just shake the cover a little and it usually goes elsewhere. They seem to serve a purpose, as they eat "bad" bugs.

The critters that really weird me out are millipeeds! They have nasty pincer-type mouths and all those legs! :shock: My husband uncovered one when he was putting up sheetrock and he said the thing was huge, and much too close to his hand.

I'm also not fond of "earwigs," another of the pincer-wielding bugs. At least they usually hang out in wet climates--it's too dry for them here. I can't stand the thought of one of those crawling on me! Eeewwww.

Yellow jackets and wasps also have no business on earth. I have had two scary incidents in airplanes where wasps came out from behind the instrument panel just as I was breaking ground and taking to the air--not a good time to be distracted. Like Mikimoto said, you cannot allow yourself to react. It's better to be stung than crash.

Charlie

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Miki and Charlie,

I live in the woods...there are bugs everywhere!!!! Only bugs I don't like are Redback spiders..they are poisonous. The rest I can co-exist with. My kids are facinated by bugs and are always finding some neat ones. We live in cave country, so at dusk, you can see the cave bats diving and looping for the flying bugs.

Heather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bats are cool! I could handle bats if they ate the West Nile mosquitoes around here. Aside from their scary rep, I've heard they are wonderful for the ecosystem.

Charlie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Heather!

I agree with Charlie - I think bat's are so cool. Especially the ones that eat bugs. When I lived in AZ, I'd see them in the evening ocassionally. I've always had a soft spot for bats.

Miki

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't stand bugs!!!!!!! I don't discriminate...if you're a bug, I don't like you I especially hate spiders. I probably would have gotten into a crash had I seen a spider in my helmet!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Okay... this is an old thread, but I couldn't resist!
A bug is a bug in my book! BUT.... The ****roach is the worst of all I think! I'd never seen one the entire time I lived in Michigan. I moved to Alabama at age 33 and now FL has them as well. Those nasty little things are like tanks! They absolutely refuse to die no matter what you hit them with! If I was back in my preteen years I'd spray them with carb cleaner and set them on fire! Amazing I didn't kill myself back then....... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts