Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I have a problem with my front brake of my ZX6R J2 2001, I have a really spongy front brake lever, even though the brakes are good but I need to pull the lever in a lot. Here is a list of the things that I have done to try and solve this problem.

Nissin Master Cylinder (New)
Hel Braided Steel hoses (New)
Brake fluid (New)
EBC brake pads (New)
Piston seal kit (New)
Pistons cleaned up
Discs (about 2000 miles use)

As you can see I have practically changed everything apart from the Tokico 6 pot calipers (And always here these are terrible calipers to get spot on braking)

Does anyone know of a good upgrade (not to expensive) or do any other bike models calipers fit on the ZX6R J2 2001 without to much modifications??

Thank you for any suggestion or recommendations on different calipers.

Carleto

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
did you BLEED the system after all that ?? sounds like you still have air in the system... good ol MITY-VAC will take care of that for ya...
Thats what it sounded like to me as well.

Only other time I've had spongy brakes on anything was when the power brake booster on my Cutlass developed a vacuum leak...but since bikes don't have power brake boosters, I'm gonna stick with air in the system, final answer ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you BLEED the system after all that ?? sounds like you still have air in the system... good ol MITY-VAC will take care of that for ya...
Thanks for your reply, I have bleed them over 20 times, 4/5 times when I add a new item to try and resolve the spongy brakes. Bleed from calipers and master cylinder. tried raising the calipers, zip tie around the lever over night, knocking the calipers to release the bubbles, think ive tried everything, although never tried a MITY VAC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spongy Front Brake (ZX6R J2) Reply to Thread

Ok thanks, I live in the UK, have looked on E bay and they are about £50, $100. I have looked into some other bleeding tips, and found a few ways that I have never tried before, so looks like back to bleeding :eek:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spongy Front Brake (ZX6R J2) Reply to Thread

Will do, I have a bleed nipple on the MC so this will be easier to bleed, having another go at bleeding the brakes today, hopefully will improve but very much doubt they will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.