Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine temp light on my 500 does not always come on before starting the bike (when you turn the key before starting the bike - the engine oil emp light always glows). It is sporadic, sometimes comes on prior to starting (has not ever come on when running) - somestimes not, is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions - fixes?

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
I don`t think it`s supposed to light up .The oil light will because it lights when there is no(or less than 5 lbs) oil pressure,until the engine cranks and starts.The temp light will come on when the temp hits an overtemp situation.If the engine is cold it won`t go on,but if it was running for a while and you shut it down,for a short while the water in the jackets will climb higher because there is no pump running to circulate the coolant through the radiator.This might turn the light on briefly until the coolant moves through the system.
My daughter has a EN 500 and that`s what hers does..
John

·
Registered
394 Posts
What year is the bike? My 500 has both the oil light and the temp light on when the key is turned before hitting the ignition. Really, any time the key is turned and the engine isn't running, both lights are on. I presume this is so you know they are both functional. It sounds to me like you have a short in the wiring.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What year is the bike? My 500 has both the oil light and the temp light on when the key is turned before hitting the ignition. Really, any time the key is turned and the engine isn't running, both lights are on. I presume this is so you know they are both functional. It sounds to me like you have a short in the wiring.
My 97, if I recall correctly, had both oil and temp red lights on when the key was on but the engine wasn't. I think they were the outside two and the middle was the green signal light.

The temp light will come on when the temp hits an overtemp situation.If the engine is cold it won`t go on,but if it was running for a while and you shut it down,for a short while the water in the jackets will climb higher because there is no pump running to circulate the coolant through the radiator.
Also working on memory here but I think the thermostat is in the radiator. (I know it is on the EX but they use a different rad so I'm not entirely sure, but I know it's not in the engine) Even if you shut down the bike I doubt the water jackets would be hot enough to trip the thermostat.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm,ya got me thinking now...the thermostat doesn`t read temp-it`s there to hold the water flow when it`s cold so the motor will warm up faster and keep the proper temp..the temp sensor I thought was in the motor somewhere..
But now I`m thinking I`m fecally impacted,but I can`t go check it out,her battery is ferschtunct and nothing lights up..
We have a coupla en500 owners here that have said the lights both go on when they turn on the key,so I`d say I am in error..
John

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd have to go through parts diagrams now.

I know the EX doesn't have a temp light, just a gauge, or rather, I've never seen a temp light come on, so thats why I'm not entirely sure about the vulcan. But I'm about 95%.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I went downstairs and sat on mine before my last post, turned the key, both lights came on. Jimmy, you're spot on with your memory of the lights and their placement. I don't have any idea where the sensors are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts