Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot of posts in the sportbike forum that deal with problems and breakdowns more than the cruiser section? Are sportbikes less reliable because they are generally run harder?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I don't see it myself. I would hazzard a guess that due to the median age of those that own sportbikes vs cruisers that they don't pay proper attention to keeping them in proper condition.

I have 3 sport bikes and a Concours now as compared to my 1500 Classic. My sport bikes are all older, but other than small things, have not given me any problems. My ST bike is as competent as the Classic was too.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it was just me, or like you said, maybe just more young guys changing stuff out all the time or not doing the maintenance as well. Just wondering since I've been toying with the idea of trying out a sportbike and used seems the best option to start. Thanks Dave.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Ah...well, there are a number of low mileage sport bikes out there. they tend not to be ridden nearly as far. Condition of them is pretty easy to spot. just make sure there are no scrapes from being down, and check to see how clean the chain is. that's a sure sign of how careful the owner is with his "toy".

I just bought my 99 Honda Superhawk. it has 18k miles and a good bit of aftermarket stuff on it. it was down on it's right side, but not hard. They guy that owned it was the second owner and he obviously cared about his bikes, because it was clean. The only problem I found was the the rectifier went out on me. typical for the age. And I also found that the battery was undersized. I didn't realize that until this winter when it would not turn over well. I researched and found that the battery in it was 180 CCA and it should be 210.

All that said, about $2500 to $3000 can buy you a pretty nice bike to have fun on. I only paid $2000 for my Triumph and I've thrashed it hard on the race track without any problem. I did have to replace the chain though. Otherwise, it takes abuse and runs like a top without a falter.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my ZX-14, but then, it was new when I got it (11,000 miles ago ;) ).

The chain thing is kinda funny to me...I read a comment by someone on a ZX-14 forum...thought rain was a natural cleaner of the chain. :eek: Personally I think my chain is filthy after a ride in the rain...must just be me.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
i dont know, higher performance engines tend to require more more maint to run properly, but I dont think they break down more? Thinking mostly if HP car motors though.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I've not heard that sportbikes are more or less reliable than cruisers. I'd think it would be the make, how hard it's ridden, and how well it's maintained.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Hondas are bulletproof, so you wouldn't get any problems with a Honda sportsbike unless it was neglected by it's owner... same with most bikes though.

I can't comment about Kawa sportsbikes as i haven't got one. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Having ridden a GSXR for 2 years and being my only form of transport.
I think the supersports deal much more with engine, transmission and clutch problems.
In general they are pretty reliable (Italians less..), but mostly they are a bit more complex, made for performance (and used for performance).
They just ride with much more rpm's, shifting fast, more frequently and using the clutch a lot more.
Maintanance is even more important with supersports...and it's not cheap..
I would be very hesitant if I needed to buy an older 2nd hand supersport.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
and most have 4 cylinders to worry about instead of just the 2 of a v-twin :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
I remember the screaming was highly addictive and a lot of fun!!..
Perfect for adrinaline-junkie's..
Your signature tells me you like both worlds Steve...
:biggrin:

yup, although i've not ridden the Custom in a few months as the weather's been terrible and i can't be bothered to clean and polish the chrome after riding on wet roads.

Nothing quite like being able to do 100mph in 2nd gear :twisted:

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Could be most sports are bought by younger generation but can't take care of them. they just ride them till they quit,then the bike is bought by someone that don't know bikes but that it's a sport bike. I've seen a lot of really nice sport bikes that are well cared for, but most were owned by the 40 and older.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
You get these youngins that just want to ride and can't be bothered with basic care. Or doing upgrades properly. Like adding a full exhaust but not springing to get a power commander or rejetting on a carb'd bike. Then when things go wrong, they have to take it to the dealer cause they can't be bothered with learning how to work on their own bikes. Then the dealer says it'll be about a grand to fix, which is way too much money. So they continue to ride it until it really breaks down and then sell it and in the listing it says "I don't know what's wrong with it."

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Guess we have different definitions of poor riding habits. Frequent hard acceleration, in my opinion, is only a poor riding habit in the hands of those lacking riding skill. Valentino Rossi's riding habits are very, VERY good in my book. ;)

Anyway, hard acceleration will do little to the reliability of a properly maintained bike (assuming everything is up to temp). Same with hard cornering or braking. It may require a bit more frequent maintenance, but the bike'll still last.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Most sport bikes are very reliable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think you will find, as most others have already said, that the majority of the riders that purchase sport bikes tend to ride them pretty hard and not maintain them properly and you have the other type of rider that likes to tinker and has no clue what they are doing. I find a lot of the "tinkerer's" riding sport bikes and cruisers and seem to be the majority of the problem people when you look in a tech forum. :)

"hey all I'm new here and my bike quit running"

"did you do anything to it?"

"I turned a few screws on the carbureator"

"doh!"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts