Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having no luck finding a sport touring windscreen for an 05 ZX-12R. Does anyone know who would have these?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I shopped around for a taller ZX9R screen for my dog and the two best candidates were Zero Gravity and Laminar Lip.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/kawasaki_sptbks/272.htm

I ended up getting the Zero Gravity in clear, only because my local dealership wasn't an authorized Lip dealer (which is weird because he's always been able to get anything I wanted) AND their online credit-card order form was not on a secure server. (If it ain't a secure server you DON'T want to enter your credit card #, trust me.)
Good luck, whichver you go with.
-CCinC

·
Registered
305 Posts
DUDE!!! thanks calamarichris...i lost my lip when i laid down my bike and it flew over the edge of the freeway. I have never been able to find them because i didn't know what it was called.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good thing that was the only lip you lost!
true. there was one of those big railings so i wouldn't have fallen over. but when the bike fell, the lip just kind of flew off. it really sucked cause i liked it alot (it was on the bike when i bought it)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Zero Gravity just sent me an e-mail:

The mounting system for the ZX-12R windscreen is difficult to duplicate. We tried for a year and a half but were unable to solve the design problem. We've given up for now (as have virtually all the other aftermarket windscreen makers except Puig, which requires you drill holes in your fairing). I wish I could help you but I'm afraid you're stuck with your stock screen.......ZG

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you look at the stock 12R fairing and windscreen mount points, they're very cleanly-mated together. Not like the 9R and the 6R, which are fairly generic. The 12R requires a very precise fit and close tolerances. Sorry for recommending a bum-steer, but I can see how they would have problems fitting the 12R. Especially something as malleable as plastic sheeting. The tolerances would vary pretty drastically based upon the temperature alone.
I don't fault Zero-gravity for their approach. If you can't do it perfectly, don't bother. That's even admirable in an age of Wal-Mart's nickle pickles and Two-buck-Chuck bottles of wine.
I'm pretty happy with my ZG screen because it allows me to ride with my dog, but it does look a little wonky compared to the stock screen.
Good luck with Puig. I couldn't find a North American source for them for my 9R, but it looked like quality stuff from the online photos.
-CCinC

P.S. If you tell them you're not especially picky about loose tolerances, perhaps ZG might have some 12R screens left over at a decent price. If you really want that touring screen, I would even tell them that you'll fax them your order with a signed statement agreeing not to return it or request a refund, because it sounds as though they've had problems in the past with returns and might have a few of these lying around. It's a gamble and the screen might look like doo-doo when you get it, but of you want that taller screen...

·
Registered
607 Posts
And my dog likes the new windscreen plenty. No pictures of her yet on the 9R, but she's a happy camper because the optics are such that she can see very clearly through the ZG screen. Here she is on my W650:

-CCinC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Calamarichris said:
And my dog likes the new windscreen plenty. No pictures of her yet on the 9R, but she's a happy camper because the optics are such that she can see very clearly through the ZG screen. Here she is on my W650:

-CCinC
Windscreen: $65

Motorcycle: $6000

Dog that loves to ride with you: Priceless!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts