Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was spot sandblasting around the intake i had it taped and masked really well but some got in one of the intake inlets, maybe about a pinch of it was sitting there. Its Aluminum Oxide blasting Media, DID I JUST F*#K UP MY ENGINE???:shock: :shock:.

----Eric

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Get a vacuum cleaner and pray you can get all the grit out! Otherwise cross your fingers everytime a strange sound happens.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Not necessarily, but heres some things that may govern what you decide to do. How many miles are on the engine and how long since the last rebuild? Using a shop-vac and compressed air you can blow and vacuum the intake clean. Heres the tricky part, 1. Dont rotate the engine! 2. What position is the intake valve in for the port in question?(hopefully closed) 3. If open,pull the plug because your going to blow and vacuum the cylinder clean as well as the intake port.3/8"dia. clear tubing can be fitted to a shop-vac and a 3/16" copper wand can be fitted to the compessed air. If the valve is closed, all you have to do is stick the wand as deeply as you can behind the visable valve stem and blow the port clean(wear eye protection!)follow up with a liberal shot of WD-40 and vacuum it dry with the tube stuck into the port,repeat untill clean. If the valve is open, use the open plug hole to first blow the cylinder clean and follow up with the vacuum method. Blow the crap out the same way it came in. Do this carefully and you shouldnt have to pull the head, if the engine has lots of miles it would be adviseable to go ahead and pull the head and rebuild it. If the compresion reads are low, pull the block too. This could easily become a nightmare like that fella changing shims so take your time.Pull the cover to see what the valve position is. I wonder what the pros and cons are to soda blasting instead of aluminium oxide? Rubber expandable plugs are good to use for port protection. You wont hurt the engine if you dont rotate it before its cleaned. I would finally pour some SeaFoam into the plug hole and suck it out to clean up what may have been missed in the port or stuck to a piston edge. And change the oil :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well blasted about 95psi in there, vacum, blast,vacum,blast,vacum. ran my long fingers down in there i feel no particles whats so ever......but a question how would i know if the vlave is in the open or closed position.. The engine has about 6000 miles original and i have not turn the engine........

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
well blasted about 95psi in there, vacum, blast,vacum,blast,vacum. ran my long fingers down in there i feel no particles whats so ever......but a question how would i know if the vlave is in the open or closed position.. The engine has about 6000 miles original and i have not turn the engine........
If you havent rotated the engine, you can pull the valve cover and see what position the cam lobe is in. As long as the engine is in the same position since the mishap and the cam lobe IS NOT AGAINST THE SHIM, the grit will have gone no farther than the top of the valve.:wink: Sounds like you should be good to go!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PHEW! :shock:
That was close! I was lucky!
The valve was closed for the intake side and i just had to clean the inner section.........turned it on without a hiccup. Ran it for a while listening for the worse but i figured it should be ok, I cleaned the SH8 out of it, Thanks for the tips guys!:)

---Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts