Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i have not heard of anyone doing this, but i don't see why you wouldn't be able to. if i recall, when i installed my lightbar, it was around the same width as the factory bar, so i would think it should work out alright. you really don't even need to mount a switch. i tapped my onto the parking lights ciruit and i never touch the switch. let us know if you do it and how it works out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ranjan,
I read the same thing on Gadget's web site. I am going to pick up my new Nomad on Saturday and am ordering a set of 55w halogen spots to mount on the light bar. I mounted a light bar on my 800 classic and bipassed the switch because I thought it was unnecessary. The wiring was very easy, other than the F&S wiring colors were different than the instructions indicated. I am getting a set through a local dealer for about 85 bucks.

Looks like an easy upgrade to me and will save me about 150 bucks. Also, my F&S spots on the lightbar where kind of dim. I think they might have been 35 watt.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Ranjan,

I also saw the same instructions on that web page. I am probably going to do the same mod eventually. Whoever does it first needs to post pics for the rest to see.

Scott

·
Registered
488 Posts
Scott

I plan on doing it in the next week or so. I am picking up my Nomad on Friday and Iam ordering the lights the day before. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of next week. I will let you know.

DJ

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
centerpunch said:
Scott

I plan on doing it in the next week or so. I am picking up my Nomad on Friday and Iam ordering the lights the day before. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of next week. I will let you know.

DJ
Cool! I look forward to seeing your results.

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ranjan,

Quite a few Nomad owners have done the mod you mention without any major problems. The most difficult part is tightening the nut on the spotlight in the very limited space available. I've done three of these now and found rather than spinning the nut it works as well to spin the headlight. It just takes a few tries to get it tight and pointed straight.

The photos on the webpage show the completed project. Don't forget to wire your lights properly, using a relay rather than just tapping into your existing headlight wires. Instructions for that posted here: http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiredrivinglights.htm

Cheers,
Gadget

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks for the info Gadget, I ordered my spots today and picking up the bike tomorrow. I will look for a parts store along the way and pick up a relay. I am really looking forward to installing the electronic cruise control also. We are still in snow here in Central Oregon so it will give me time to do some upgrades before I get into riding season here.

Thanks again,
DJ

·
Registered
488 Posts
The spotlight mod on the 05 1600 Nomad will not work due to the bar used for the turn signals. It is a 3/4 inch bar in which they slip the turn signal directly onto the end of the bar. There is no longer a turn in the end of the bar in which you can drill a hole. I am thinking I might have to purchase a light bar or figure out some kind of clamp that would secure the light to the bar. I am not sure it extends far enough out on the sides to fit a spotlight without interfering with the turn signals.

If you download the front view photograph of the bike on kawasaki.com you can see what I mean about how the signals are mounted.

If you have any ideas let me know. I am going to talk to a local parts dealer tomorrow and see what king of ideas they have.

I'll let you know what happens and take some pictures if I can figure out a good method for mounting them.

I hope this helps.
DJ.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey centerpunch,
I also have the 1600 Nomad. I don't think the project Gadget talks about will work either. The total length of the bar is only 19" and the space between the turn signal and headlight will not allow a 4 1/2 inch spot light.
Let me know what you end up doing. I too would like more light
bob from RI

·
32,545 Posts
if you guys are stuck with buying a bar, check out ebay. i bought mine on there for a pretty decent discount, as well as my sissy bar, rack, power commander, and hypercharger. i will be purchasing a new trailer hitch from there probably next month. good luck and sorry to hear about the limitations on the light bar. hey, at least you got the bigger motor !!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
the bigger motor is awesome. I went around today and found some 2 1/2" laser spots that have a bullet shape to them. The only thing is that I am not sure how the smaller spots will look with the large Headlight. The bike has such a classic look that I don't want to screw it up. I am still weighing my options. I like the idea of manufacturing some kind of cool setup. I am still open to any suggestions

DJ

·
32,545 Posts
that's exactly the reason that i went with the F&S bar. kuryakyn makes a real nice billet bar with a set of smaller spots, but i don't think it would look right on my bike. i like the look of the bigger spots on it, just seems like it fits. especially once i have my fairing on, the smaller spots would have looked even more out of place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spotlights Installed - FYI

Just wanted to provide an update. I installed the 4 1/2" spots on the existing turnsignal bar (2000 Nomad). It was a fairly easy job. I used the relay wiring method recommended by Gadget, with a change. Used the accessory leads located under the insturment cluster and since I wanted the lights on all the time used the headlight wire (blue w/yellow stripe) for the activation switch.
I found some Emgo 4 1/2" spots at a local shop for $20/ea. The final installation looks good. The spots are very close to headlight (about a 1/16" space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts