Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to dust of the bike and blow out the cob webs. Just remember to run a few different scenes through the old gray matter before you hit the first sucker ice.

Definitions:

Sucker ice types include but are not limited to the following,

1 Water flowing over ground ice,
2 Early morning and late evening
3 In the middle of your favorite sweeper or any shady spot.

The other and sometimes less obvious is sand left over around intersections, parking lots, and if your town is like most in the snow belt it will be several weeks if not months before the streets are clear. Then it will still be where you least expect it.

And of course every ones favorite yea old pot holes. It is a good time to practice shoulder shrugs and other evasive maneuvers.

And the most dangerous of all inattentive cage dwellers.:eek:

If you are anything like me the clean crisp mornings and warm afternoons make spring riding some of the best of the year.

Sadly
some of the worst accidents tend to happen in the spring.

Lets try to stay on topic and share any other riding tips to help keep this a good start to the season.

May we all have another safe and memorable season of riding.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
I'll add since today I proclaim as official riding season. I rode for 1 1/2 hours after work...
Yes, its that time where you start dodging roadkill....encountered the first dead skunk.
Blondes in SUV's with cell phone stuck in their ears...'nuff said about that one.
CHECK that air pressure in your tires!!!! My front needed 6 pounds and the rear needed 4.
If your driveway and lane is dirt and gravel, watch out for the soft mud places!!

Lucky...

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
I'll add since today I proclaim as official riding season. I rode for 1 1/2 hours after work...
Yes, its that time where you start dodging roadkill....encountered the first dead skunk.
Blondes in SUV's with cell phone stuck in their ears...'nuff said about that one.
CHECK that air pressure in your tires!!!! My front needed 6 pounds and the rear needed 4.
If your driveway and lane is dirt and gravel, watch out for the soft mud places!!

Lucky...

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Some quick tips to add:

Remember that your body and mind need time to get back into "riding form". You've been off of the bike for a few months, and just like an athlete in pre-season training, you need to get back into condition. So take it easy for the first few rides. Don't think you can just get on and go blasting about like it was mid-season. You need a few miles under your belt to re-sharpen your reactions, and get your muscles used to working the bike.

Along with that, you have to kinda 'relearn' your bike again. Just like it was brand new to you. Stupid things like "oh yea, this V2k weighs a ton", or "too early on the throttle, and my ZX-10 will step out the rear".

Basically, just give yourself a little time to get back into the groove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts