Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you sprocket and chain guys give me some advice about this prob please as I have only ever had shaft-drive bikes before. Ive just bought a 1992 KLE 500 to do up for a project and been inspecting the sprockets and chain, all seemed fine till i checked the front sprocket, there was plenty of tooth on the sprocket but when I checked the free play of the sprocket on the gearbox output shaft.... the wear is horrendous. the splines on the shaft are 25% worn away and the sprocket splines are 50% worn away, the thing that baffles me tho is this, the splines on both the sprocket and the shaft have not worn parallel , they have worn at an angle, the sprocket is worn badly on the inside while little on the outside, the shaft has worn the opposite, it is mostly worn on the end or outside, and worn little on the inside, its as if the sprocket and the shaft have been running badly misaligned or is this the way these sprockets and shafts go if they are abused and ignored as this is leading me to think about worn swing-arm bearings. the sprockets in the bin and i will be looking for another output shaft but whats caused the angled wear in these splines?...cheers in anticipation

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've only ever seen this on poorly-maintained or run-on-a-shoestring field bikes.
It's likely the sprocket were poor quality and/or not fitted properly squared up.

Has your KLE got the splined retaining-plate with 2 screws securing it?

If so i've seen these on KLRs been bashed round to align the screw-holes instead of using the machined groove, the plate gets deformed and does a job of holding the sprocket in for a short while but lets it creep eventually.

Must've been a right bodge to cause that much wear tho'.

Bad-luck mind, so good-luck m8.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I can confirm it does have the splined lockplate securing the sprocket. I noted with interest that the later KLE 500s had this lock modified and a single large nut and lockwasher was fitted, kawasaki got rid of the lockplate (Which to me as an engineer seems a poorly designed locking device which starts to oscillate as the wear increases on the splines so that the more wear that occurs on the shaft, the more the locking device is liable to fail)...no wonder then that Kawasaki changed the locking device on later machines. Ive seen that type of lock fitted to lots of other makes of bikes on UTUBE too so its a popular locking method.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The method itself is effective enough i think as long as the plate is changed every or every couple of sprocket changes, but too easy to fit poorly. Oh well, as you say, can't beat a good nut and tab-washer (unless it's a sandwich you want) :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
This sounds like a poorly made and fitting sprocket to me, with the teeth in the center of the sprocket too small for the splines on the output shaft, allowing the fit to bang around when opening or closing the throttle. A good sprocket will fix the sprocket part of the problem, but it depends on how much wear is on the output shaft, which may have to be replaced. Got any pics?

The bent over sprocket nut washer works just fine if installed properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help you guys, Ive got a new cheapo sprocket coming in the post, no point putting a good one on this shaft the way it is....I'm gonna stick it on the shaft and use the bike as is this summer . I will change the shaft as soon as I source one. the problem must have started with someone fitting a cheap sprocket and letting things get out of hand and ignored the problem. I will be fitting a new splined lock washer and bolts. Will send pics tomorro Polkat.
Appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts