Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solo seat mounting-would this work?

What about this? Looking at my frame just behind the tank, I realised that if I welded anything across the frame for the front seat mount attachment, I'd have a problem. Either I'd have trouble getting the air cleaner cap out, or if I left that clear, I'd have trouble getting the battery out. Then this idea hit me; use 1/8" steel plate bolted over the battery cage mounts, then mount the front hinge to that. It would be easily removable when necessary. It will work, but my question is would it be strong enough?

Attachments

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Spring mounting a solo seat makes sense when it's a rigid frame, tapering to the axle plates like an HD hardtail. Not so much on a japper with a stock frame. (Unless you have an inseam of 34" or more) Remember, you're going to have three plus inches of spring raising the seat height.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is being bobbed and has been strutted with a 3-1/2" drop, hence the desire for a sprung seat. The plate is 1/4" steel and the springs will be mounted to the frame rails with another bracket, but I'm not yet sure how to mount the springs. Some photos I've seen seem to have a bolt going through the spring, some don't. Anyone have pics of the install, or instructions for a seat? Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I once rode a sprung seat, and it had some side play. So my "*** feel" for what the bike was doing below me was all confused. A good mounting system will have super cool zero play joints with grease fittings to keep them cool. Otherwise it may take some getting used to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.