Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a 99 1500 Nomad. Recently it's starting to sputter and pop. Last night it quit, like it wasn't getting gas. Never done that before. It idled fine, but rev the throttle, and it would sputter down. What gives?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's carbed. I'll check that petcock. It hasn't given me any trouble since, so I'm baffled!

This may be a Bike 101 question, but I don't know the answer.... is it okay to run the carb cleaner fuel additive through it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any luck? I had similar issues a few weeks ago and am just getting to this now. Mine started no problem, idles fine. Then on take off sputtered and died. Started again and got it moving but it was literally clunking along - sputtering - coughing... this isn't in one range of throttle position either (I know that pilot and main jets operate at different throttle positions).

Picked this 2000 VN1500 after my 98 VN1500 crashed. And I am guessing that the last guy didn't do any or very little maintenance as there was a few things I had to clean up when I got it.

So I am going to start with this:
- Clean air filter which I have already done. Dried, oiled and ready to install back into the hypercharger.
- Replace plugs;
- New Oil and Filter;
- Check fuel filter;
- Pull Carb and check jets and float.
- Tune Carb and run Seafoam just as a preventative and to clean up the rest of the 'arteries' in the bike.

The first few will be simple to do and adjustments to tune the carb should be easy enough as I have pulled my old one several times as I modded the engine and exhaust.

I'll post results and what I find here.

More to come.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any luck? I had similar issues a few weeks ago and am just getting to this now. Mine started no problem, idles fine. Then on take off sputtered and died. Started again and got it moving but it was literally clunking along - sputtering - coughing... this isn't in one range of throttle position either (I know that pilot and main jets operate at different throttle positions).

Picked this 2000 VN1500 after my 98 VN1500 crashed. And I am guessing that the last guy didn't do any or very little maintenance as there was a few things I had to clean up when I got it.

So I am going to start with this:
- Clean air filter which I have already done. Dried, oiled and ready to install back into the hypercharger.
- Replace plugs;
- New Oil and Filter;
- Check fuel filter;
- Pull Carb and check jets and float.
- Tune Carb and run Seafoam just as a preventative and to clean up the rest of the 'arteries' in the bike.

The first few will be simple to do and adjustments to tune the carb should be easy enough as I have pulled my old one several times as I modded the engine and exhaust.

I'll post results and what I find here.

More to come.
My guess is that it was just a bit of goo in the line -- the Seafoam seemed to help it at the time.

Now if I could just fix the water pump that died...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay I am back with some news but it's not good news yet. :(

I pulled the air filter out of the hypercharger: cleaned that up, let it air dry, then oiled it up. That was put back in the hypercharger.

I pulled the plugs and changed them. I did notice that the fronts were running leaner than the rear plugs.

I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter, put new oil in.

I pulled the tank off, checked lines to and from tank, petcock, fuel pump and fuel filter. I also checked the lines to the carburetor. All looks good.

The only thing I haven't done now is the carburetor and I am definitely hoping the problem resides there. I started her up tonight after doing the above work, and she runs and hums just perfect. I can give it some gas while in neutral and she'll fire up without hesitation.

So I decided to give it a go and drive around the block. Got it out on the street and less than a minute in the sputter started again. I got down a block and turned back and she started choking and sputtering more. I could only keep it in first, with minimal throttle and humped it back home.

I guess I am just puzzled why now there'd be a problem when she ran fine last year without any mods done in between.

I will pull the carb out in the next few days when I get the time and check the float, needle, jets... at this point ANY help would be appreciated so that hopefully nip this one in the bud sooner rather than later.

Stay tuned and thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
Just a shot in the dark since it sounds like you're losing the fuel flow: have you checked the gas tank vent hole under the gas cap? No air in means no gas out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pull the carb carefully keeping it verticle and the fuel (and any crud) in the bowl. Hopefully you can pull the bowl with the fuel still in it to see what crud/water is in it.

Did it idle fine just not accept throttle?
Hi there.
Yeah, it starts great and idles fine - I adjusted the idle with the screw/cable until it was purring. I gave it a little on the throttle (about 1/3) and no issues. When I started riding is when it starts sputtering... losing power. If I let off the throttle it idles again.

I had a problem with the carburetor a few years back and when I pulled it there was varnish/old gas deposits in the bowl.

So I am hoping that is the same thing this time around. It seems strange that this occurs through the entire range since pilot and main jets operate at different throttle positions.

Here's to crossing my fingers that it's just some crap in the bowl.

Again, I'll pull this tonight and give feedback on what I discover.

N

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
I had a problem with the carburetor a few years back and when I pulled it there was varnish/old gas deposits in the bowl.

So I am hoping that is the same thing this time around. It seems strange that this occurs through the entire range since pilot and main jets operate at different throttle positions.
Hopefully you just have some accumulated water/crud. Vacuum carbs can be deceiving because they blur what system you're running on. You may also have an only partially clogged (restricted) main jet. While you've got it apart you can see if it was jetted for the less restrictive intake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.