Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this happen? Last night I was coming home from a restaurant. Bike had been out all day, no issues. I was almost home and down shifted to 2nd to make a left turn. Bike stalled in the middle of the turn and oil light came on. I realized what happened and with traffic around, I instantly tried to start the bike. It started right back up and was fine for the rest of the ride.

May be a fluke but it made me a bit nervous. Just curious if this happened to anyone else and if it was anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am not sure what bike it is you are talking about, but if it is injected, the throttle body could need a good cleaning.

If the idle speed was set lower at some point in time, it may be set to lower just slightly.

If this is the case of both of the above clean the throttle body first, and test.

To clean the throttle body pull the cover (dog bowl) and use carb cleaner and a old tooth brush. Note if the tooth brush begins to come apart as some carb cleaners will eat them, and you don't need more sticky mess.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I had it happen once coming to a stop at a traffic sign.

Started up right away and never happened again.

I did run Sea Foam through it just in case right after it happened.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like it could be loaded up. Run some fuel additive through it! Might clean some gunk out and save you from having to clean the carb.
Like they said, all depends on what kind of bike it is.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
You or anyone else hasn't lowered the idle have they? When the 900 first came out people were lowing the idles to make it sound more harley like and when you would come to a stop the engine would die.

But like everyone else said. May be a fluke.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 900 and the idle hasn't been lowered. I will run some seafoam through it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
When mine stalled, it was stock idle setting. Bought it new & never adjusted.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Deb if the sea foam doesn't work I would bump the idle up a bit.

My 1600 does this occasionally (currently almost 18000 miles on it) and my old ZX-12R had done it from day one from 2700 miles to 21750 miles (when I sold it to my buddy). My buddy still deals with it.

It does it when the weather is like it is, going from cold to hot in a single day. Once the weather stays steady as spring and summer goes on it is not an issue for either bike, but it starts idling too fast and has to be bumped down. Very noticable on the ZX-12 with the tach sitting right there (1050 idle jumps to 1300 as the summer moves on).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Might be worth looking at the air filter if this is a carbed bike. A dirty air lilter will enrichen fuel mix a bit. Turning up the idle maybe 50 rpm may help too.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Happened to me too.........................how old is your battery?

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
If it doesn't happen again then no worries. It has happened to me once or twice in three years. If it does then you could have a ECU problem. Back in 2006 when these vn900's came out there was a recall for the ECU. I know you have a 2007 but you never know if you really have a ECU that was built after the recall.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Classic symptom of loose battery connections or battery going bad. Check your connections and voltage.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you ride. Mine last about 2 years.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A guy in my local riding group has offered to come by and help me check out the bike tonight. I had no idea but it turns out he is an engineer specializing in electrical. Bikers are really the nicest people. Always willing to help out a fellow rider (at least most of them).

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess it depends on how much you ride. Mine last about 2 years.
Since I bought the bike (used with 900 miles on it), I have ridden 18,000 miles in two years. I would think the battery should be fine but you never know. I do keep it on a battery tender when not riding for an extended period of time.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
If you're puttsing around and are in too tall a gear and pull the revs down too much (even momentarily) letting the clutch out you can kill the engine because there's a (low) rpm threshold where the ignition shuts off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you're puttsing around and are in too tall a gear and pull the revs down too much (even momentarily) letting the clutch out you can kill the engine because there's a (low) rpm threshold where the ignition shuts off.
Please explain this. I don't understand the meaning.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Please explain this. I don't understand the meaning.
Usually happens if you're going too slow for the gear you're in and feathering the clutch or have the clutch in and haven't downshifted far enough and pull the rpms down too far when you let the clutch out. The engine literally just shuts off. Seems like it should have been a recoverable "oops" but it just dies. I'm not sure the exact rpm on the 900's, but on my 1500 MS it's under 400 rpm the ignition shuts off. It's a surprise when it happens but it has to do with the engine management mapping.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything checked out ok. Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. But at least I know the battery is good, the idle is good and the kickstand sensor is good as well. Time will tell if there is something else wrong.

The upside is that I have another person in my riding group willing to help me. It's really a great feeling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts