Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an ex500 last week with an unusual problem. The bike starts straight up and sounds great it will easily rev upto 11000rpm in netural but the second I let the clutch out it just dies. There is no grinding sound, it just feels like someone hit the kill switch as soon as you let it out.
If I rev it really hard and try to dump the clutch I can feel the bike pull forward a little bit (1 foot). There is a loud poping sound when I do this. I first thought this was a carb problem so I cleaned them but still the same problem. I took the carbs of my working ex500 (I have two of these bikes) and put them on them on, still the same problem. When I pull in the clutch and kick it into first it fells like it is in gear, if I try to push it forward when it's off it rolls over like you would expect it too. I am now thinking that there is a problem with the transmission. Any one have any ideas?
Thanks
David
:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PROBLEM FOUND!

Ok, now I feel stupid. After all my work it turns out it was the kickstand switch. The connector had rusted over and once it was replaced the bike ran as good as new. Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the group.

...well that saves us having to say its probably the side stand switch ;-)

I can't believe how often it catches me too when getting back on the bike :)

I always find that when its something stupid I realise just as I have finished watching the email / posting send.

Luckily you can delete here too should you ever want to remove something you are too ashamed of!

Good to have you here!

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SOMETIMES

Sometimes walking away from a problem or sleeping on it helps, sometimes POSTING it, will actually jog our memory...Nice catch...and you don't have to be embarrassed...it happens to some people and you have just now saved many such posts...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Side stand

Side stand switches are a pain. I've by-passed mine - on a ZX9R-B1.

If you leave the stand down now and try and go, it just taps the ground and flicks up. :D

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
KICKSTAND

I understand your desire to defeat the kickstand switch...WQhile I was in hte Navy we had about 6 of us that did all sorts of things together. One of them was t defeat the Kickstand test. A guy riding a Suzuki 650 Shaft drive took off from the parking lot one day and made a right turn out of the parking lot and then a left turn onto the street...only to find tha tthe kickstand was down and he was already doing about 10MPH. IT was a LESSON! Not funny although he wasn't hurt ...okay the bike survived too...but I reconnected mine after his "launching." The switches are there for your protection, even the protection of the bike. It's fairly inexpensive considering what a pair of gloves cost or a helmet, or anythnig broken on our person or on the bike... He was lucky that he didn't break anything on the bike. I guess I sound like a Factory geek, but I'm not...I just hate to see people hurt for "Dumb" reasons.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i remember my old tomos moped, i ripped the kickstand off, no use for it just drop the bike wherever u wanna leave it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts