Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a son (16 yrs old) chompin at the bit to not only get his drivers license but his M/C license and go riding with Dad. He's looking at late model Honda 750's. We can only afford about $700.00 to $1000.00. He's never ridden, not even a dirt bike so we'll be taking the CHP course. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
without knowing anything about your son I would have to say smaller would be better. you know how responsible/irresponsible your kid is.

how big is he? 6'2" at 300lbs could start out on an older 600.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was 16...

...I had a 1974 Honda CB360T. I think that was a great bike for someone that age. I would look into a well maintained older Honda street bike in the 500cc range.

I looked up this pic and it is identical to the one I had...talk about fond memories.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
I guess if you think he is responsible enough to 'respect' the oomph a 750+ has, go for it. My first 'big' bike at age 19 was a Honda CB750 but at that age I had the respect of the power of a bike that size.

This is a tough one to advise you on.

In august my wife took the MSF course and started out on a Sportster 1200. We spent a lot of time training and doing drills. Every ride we take is more or less a training ride.

I would not agree when people throw out the blanket statement that you CANNOT start on a bigger engine bike. You can with the proper training and time dedicated to that training. Big diff between a forty something woman and a 16 yr old male....maturity and respect wise.

If you think he is ready for a bigger bike, go for it. If my 17 yr old daughter were interested I'd start her out on some kind of 750 or similiar sized bike. I firmly believe its all in the training and philosophy you start him out on. just my .02

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
how big is he? 6'2" at 300lbs could start out on an older 600.
Sorry but I totally disagree with that statement.

No matter how responsible you THINK your son/daughter/friend/cousin/whatever MAY BE, a sixteen year old male has got raging hormones and testosterone and DOES NOT have the maturity to control them. He may be responsible 99% of the time, then maybe one day he's on the saddle and decides, "let's see what this baby can do" and, not having had enough seat time on the bike, does not have the skill to control the speeds that he will achieve and the situations he may find himself in.

Now if you're talking cruisers, then that's another story, but I absolutely WOULD NOT buy my (future) 16 year-old son anything bigger than a 250.

My father refused to buy me a bike at all when I was 16 - I think if I am alive today it's thanks to him.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No matter how responsible you THINK your son/daughter/friend/cousin/whatever MAY BE, a sixteen year old male has got raging hormones and testosterone and DOES NOT have the maturity to control them. He may be responsible 99% of the time, then maybe one day he's on the saddle and decides, "let's see what this baby can do" and, not having had enough seat time on the bike, does not have the skill to control the speeds that he will achieve and the situations he may find himself in.
This reminds me of the discussions I have with people that like to claim that they know their 7-10 yr old kids are safe around firearms because they have been taught not to touch them. I always try to explain to these people that kids that age do not think the same way a mature adult does and you cannot hold them to the same standards. They just don't psychologically nor physiologically have the capacity to operate on that level of personal resposibility yet.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I started out this past year on a Honda Shadow 750 ACE, Although I think it was a great bike for me to start on I would not let my 15 year old start on that same bike when he turns 16 next year I would feel more comfortable on something smaller for him. He rides dirt bikes, but I feel its very different out there with the cagers. Just my 2 cents, good luck and let us know what you decide and dont forget practice , practice.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
I'm not saying what you should do ...it's your family, your son ...but my parents had 4 boys and they didn't own a single vehicle during the entire '80s that one of us didn't wreck. I personally total my first car ...twice (both my fault) ...and my dad's '67 Chevy truck (not my fault) before I was 18.

This is nothing against your son, I'm sure he is the greatest kid, but I'd never let a 16-yr old on a street-class two-wheeler bigger than a moped, I don't care how responsible I might think he is. Accidents happen to teenagers ...there's a reason why insurance is so high for them, their at-risk rating comes in higher than most Nascar drivers.

It just takes one second of distraction, do you really want your child on a motorcycle when an accident happens to him?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It just takes one second of distraction, do you really want your child on a motorcycle when an accident happens to him?
Since I remember the hurt of not owning a bike when I really wanted one, I would try to find the best compromise to let my son have a bike, while at the same time ensuring maximum safety.

Probably I will buy him a starter bike when he is 16 with the imposition that he is only allowed to ride it in my company... that until he is 25 :biggrin: Jokes aside, at least until I have the absolute certainty that he knows how to ride WELL and a discrete certainty that he won't do anything stupid if I'm not around.

This is under the assumption that my plan A of turning him into a motogp champion doesn't go as planned :biggrin:

It seems as if this guy has the intention of riding with his son so that's a big start I would say - the presence of a parent may even warrant a bit of a bigger bike to start off with than a 250 :smile:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Over here in Oz you can only ride a 250 for the first year of having your license and that is on what we call a P(provisional license) plate you are not allowd to travel any faster than 80kms. So my sons have no choice in the matter and even if they did I don't think I would get them anything bigger, even though you can kill yourself just as easy on a 250 as anything bigger.
You may think you know your son, but just remember what you got up to when you were his age. He may be very responsible young man 99% of the time but it is that 1% when he is with his mates and may do something stupid.
Good luck with what you decide.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My parents would not let me get a bike when I was that age. Hell, my first car was an 86 grand marquis! And I managed to get in enough trouble with that! Me and my bro actualy, They called us speedy and crash! My brother got the tickets, and I totaled the cars! Hahaha!

When I have kids I don't think they will get a bike untill they are grown up. My mom thought I was a good kid. She'd **** if she knew half the **** I pulled from age 12-20! Just cause you think you know your kids doesn't mean they don't live a double life.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I've got a son (16 yrs old) chompin at the bit to not only get his drivers license but his M/C license and go riding with Dad. He's looking at late model Honda 750's. We can only afford about $700.00 to $1000.00. He's never ridden, not even a dirt bike so we'll be taking the CHP course. Any suggestions?
Start small Van. Less power, and more importantly, less weight will let him get the feel for things much better.

My boys were 18 and 21 when I got my second bike for them to learn to ride on. It was a 92 VX800. It's a v-twin and only about 55 HP and 49 fp of torque. it weighed in at 450 pounds.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I have to agree with the people that advocate smaller is better for 16 yr. old starter bike. My first bike at 16 was a Honda 175 and although I had been riding mopeds and other small bikes before I got my own I put that poor Honda through hell. The maturity and responsibility is not there for a 16 yr. old male. I don't care who it is, and that includes my son who's now 20. His first bike at 16 was a dirt bike and it taught him some valuable lessons that might have killed him if he had be on something with more top end or more hp. A 250 or 80's model 440 has more than enough power to take him anywhere at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My 15 year old is asking when can he get his permit. I told him that my truck is my ONLY ride, I know what I did when I was 16 and he's not touching my pick-up. Period.
tina i don't blame you.... i didn't buy my kids their first cars shoot for that matter i still haven't bought them cars i told them that if they wanted a car they had to buy it themselves they will take better care if it. and it worked they are all responsible adults (that have reached adulthood because they didn't have one lol )

·
Banned
880 Posts
get him a 125 dirt bike cause seriously...16?? and on the road with the rest of us when he hasnt even had much experience driving a cage? i only started to feel comfortable about getting a bike when i felt i was doing pretty darn good in a car.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts