Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 years ago, I picked up a '78 Kz1000 D1 TC that had been turned into a drag bike. Great bike. The motor had been rebuilt at least once but runs good. I changed it back into a more "standard" street bike, leaving the motor alone. There are about 44K miles on the odometer right now. A couple of years ago, I started noticing that, after it warms up,( after stopping for gas or shutting the engine down for any other reason), the starter and gear
would just spin when trying to restart the engine. Letting off the button and hitting again would usually work within a couple
tries. Some days there was no issue at all but other days were pretty bad. The problem has steadily gotten worse so it's time to fix the thing once and for all. Has anyone done this? Do I need special tools ?

Thanks in advance-
b

Before :

After "restore":

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi B, think I would do the starter motor first before I do the starter clutch (sprag ), at least then when you re-install all candidates are correct

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi B, think I would do the starter motor first before I do the starter clutch (sprag ), at least then when you re-install all candidates are correct
Hey Ropp. I actually have a spare starter and may do that but the starter currently installed spins fine when the button
is pressed. These things don't move like car starters, do they?

thanks,
b

·
Registered
70 Posts
About 10 years ago, I picked up a '78 Kz1000 D1 TC that had been turned into a drag bike. Great bike. The motor had been rebuilt at least once but runs good. I changed it back into a more "standard" street bike, leaving the motor alone. There are about 44K miles on the odometer right now. A couple of years ago, I started noticing that, after it warms up,( after stopping for gas or shutting the engine down for any other reason), the starter and gear
would just spin when trying to restart the engine. Letting off the button and hitting again would usually work within a couple
tries. Some days there was no issue at all but other days were pretty bad. The problem has steadily gotten worse so it's time to fix the thing once and for all. Has anyone done this? Do I need special tools ?

Thanks in advance-
b

Before :
View attachment 42587

After "restore":
View attachment 42588
Drool

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Ropp. I actually have a spare starter and may do that but the starter currently installed spins fine when the button
is pressed. These things don't move like car starters, do they?

thanks,
b
No matey ,the starter clutch is one direction only, do you have the manual to do the work?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No matey ,the starter clutch is one direction only, do you have the manual to do the work?
I do not have one but hopefully won't need it. There are a few vids of that on youtube so if I get stuck, will check one out.
fyi...by "move", was referring to the way a typical auto starter gear moves in to engage the flywheel teeth, not the starter clutch
itself-

thanks & hope the rest of your weekend goes well!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doesn't it have a kick starter on the right side?
First of all,OUTSTANDING bike!!! Can't say enough about it. I would suspect the starter clutch. If the starter motor is spinning, it it doing its job. Sounds like the clutch is not engaging properly.
Again OUTSTANDING bike!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts