Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On m 1981 KZ550A2......removed the starter motor to check brushes and bearings and these are good. But the O-ring is hard and flattened. There are some overpriced ebay examples, and I'm not well represented locally with dealers. The PN is 21027-04 superceded by 92055-1276. Usual auto parts stores don't seems to have anything.

Have any of our fine members discovered an alternative source for this O-ring?
 

·
itching to ride
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Try soaking it in pb blaster for awhile. I soaked an o-ring in the stuff to see if it would swell because someone on here said they would. Left it in overnight and it did indeed grow and soften up. What have you got to lose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,328 Posts
Try this:
Successfully Resurrecting Old Rubber Parts
(Found on the internet)

This subject has been broached before but I am happy to report success in revitalizing old rubber.

I have been using a mixture of 30% wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and 70% xylene to restore old rubber parts and it works beautifully. This is the same ingredients and proportions for the commercial product Rubber Renue according to the MSDS sheets.

Wintergreen oil is analgesic and liniment for aching muscles and found in most drugstores, pharmacies, health food stores and co-ops.

I gently heated rock hard honda CB carb boots with a heat gun for 30 seconds and dropped them into mason jars with my solution for 12 hours at room temperature. They come soft, pliable and looking good. They have been out of solution for 48 hours now and are still soft and pliable. I soaked smaller rubber parts such as side panel grommets and there extremely soft and may need to soak for less time

Critics are going to argue 'why not buy new ones?' Well, I am restoring four CB's at the moment and if I can reuse perfectly good parts, why throw them and my money away?

Give it a try and post your results.
 

·
itching to ride
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I did the wintergreen trick on my carb boots but one was burnt looking and it still is not right. I used the WG and boiling water trick and it did soften them but I tried cutting corners where it calls for two ounces I used one. Left my place smelling like wintergreen for about a day.
I finally broke down and ordered new ones from Z1 today because I never could get them to seal all the way.

The pb blaster did not help my boots but it sure helped the diaphragms and other rubber carb parts. The boots were too drawn up and hard. The diaphragms I just rubbed some on and let them sit and repeated a couple more times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good suggestions. Today I went to one of our Princess Auto stores and they had a big O-ring kit for sale. I think that one of these new O-rings will be a sweet fit.

The starter motor brushes and bearings were in great shape. Just vacuumed some brush dust, and plunked one small drop of polyalphaolefin oil in the bearings. Interesting this was a permanent magnet field coil motor. Powerful little guy. I spun it briefly with my battery charger, didn't want to give it full battery amperage as the start up torque would probably wrench it from my hand.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top