Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i have a 1986 kawasaki 454 ltd just got it from a buddy im having some problems getting it to start i turn on the power and lights and horn work but go to push the start button and it just clicks im sure its something obvious but im not that inclined in motorcycles just wondering if anybody has a answer and/or quick fix.thanks

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
hello everyone i have a 1986 kawasaki 454 ltd just got it from a buddy im having some problems getting it to start i turn on the power and lights and horn work but go to push the start button and it just clicks im sure its something obvious but im not that inclined in motorcycles just wondering if anybody has a answer and/or quick fix.thanks
Sounds like it could be a bad battery to me. Is it charged? You might want to have it checked. It could have enough power stored up to run the lights and horn, but it takes quite a bit more power to turn the starter. The clicking you hear is the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Na 454 is good ol Carbatooters !!:wink:

The Ignition system requires a minimum battery voltage to function correctly so pushing it may very well result in your legs collapsing before the Bike starts... :eek:

On a side note... Push or Bump starting a Motorcycle has it's Hazards, the best way is to sit on it and get a very good friend to give you a push until His/Her legs collapse that way is safer incase the bike fires up and tears off up the street !!
And of course if it don't your not to knackered to push it back home...:biggrin:

As likearock4x4 said get your Battery checked out as this would be the obvious place to start..

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
battery

·
16,933 Posts
It could be the starting solenoid, or the starter, or the cabling. Check to see if there is any voltage at the starter when pressing the start button.

It could be an interlock such as the sidestand switch preventing it from starting too.

You could try to bump start it. If it starts, that's a good thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all of the cabling is fine i just replaced it but still clicking. if it was the selonoid i should be able to cross it over with a wire right? because when i try to do that i still get the same thing. is there any fuses that i should check?

·
16,933 Posts
It's sounding more and more like the starter to me... if you don't have a meter to measure the voltage, you can connect the starter straight to the battery (momentarily). It should turn. But this is basically the same thing as jumpering around the solenoid. The only difference is that you are PROVING the wiring is not an issue.

I think I'd try rebuilding or replacing the starter.

·
16,933 Posts
I wonder if the engine is siezed up. Have you tried to bump start it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do i do this just connect the two solenoid wires together. because if it was the selonoid i would be able to start it by running the wires from one post to the other right and if that dosent work then it would be the starter? is there any way of testing the starter??

·
16,933 Posts
how do i do this just connect the two solenoid wires together. because if it was the selonoid i would be able to start it by running the wires from one post to the other right and if that dosent work then it would be the starter? is there any way of testing the starter??
An easy way is to connect a jumper cable from the battery (+) to the starter (+). Be careful not to cross them!!!

·
16,933 Posts
No, if the motor is siezed up, it won't turn... did you hear or see it try to move?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont know if it makes a differnce but last time i rode everything was fine shut it down and now this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts