Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird starting problem that has got me stumped! Been working on it for several days, asked several people no can figure it out. I hae a 1987 88se (1500 B1).
Just like I said when you hit the starter button it sounds like a sick cow, really it sound like gears grinding or not meshing correctly. After a few seconds of this sometimes everything quits, release the starter button and hit it again and you get the same sound, but will fire eventually. I had the starter checked by a electrical rebuild place, everything checks out good. Tore into the starting gears from there. The noise sounds like it is coming from the starter and the torque limiter not meshing but nothing is worn. The starter clutch was warn, had some flat spots on it. Replaced that, problem still continues. Replaced both bearings that the torque limiter roll on, did not fix the problem. Sounds like a gear is binding up some where but I can't figure it out. Not sure if the problem could be on the other side of the balancer shaft?
Very puzzeled, any help would be appriciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts