Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 ninja 600 has been idle for a couple of months and now I can't get it started. I have a battery charger so that isn't the problem... Anyone have any ideas. There are no mechanical problems as far as I know

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
NOT STARTING

suction all the gas out into a gas can and get fresh gas...make sure that you work the shut off valve several times, check the OFF swith on the bars...work it a couple of times and...slosh the gas around when you put a fresh gallon in it...pull the plugs check for spark and while they are pulled pull the choke fully on and the throttle WIDE OPEN and crank it over to clear out the carbs...hey and any old air (HA) in the cylinders, then reinstall the plugs and try to start it without the choke first. IF the bike is not turning over fast enough...you may not be getting all the spark that you need to start it..you CAN use jumpercables (carefully) and get a full spark through the system. IF you have altready been cranking on it without it starting you should probably clean the old plugs with alcohol while you have them out, or for the price just install new ones. Let us know...next time you want to store the bike for several weeks use some STABLE. or gas stabilizer in your tank and drive it around the hood before you park it again so that it is all teh way throughout the fuel system...before you park it... LET US KNOW!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure about the 600, but have read that you should never crank or run a 500 engine (and most engines with electronic ignition) with the plugs disconnected.

The Haynes manual says they must always be earthed against the engine or something similar. Don't know if it would f*** your bike but I would not take the chance.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
PLUGS GROUNDED!!!

Nice catch...yes the plugs MUST be grounded to the bike not just hanging. Electronic ignition doesn't appreciate an incomplete circuit...you can touch the plug where it has threading to any exposed metal on the bike such as a bolt that is attached to the frame...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts