Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 84 gpz900 in my family since 2003, bike ran great but gradually would take longer to start, i replaced the plugs and oils, improved slightly, now its gotten worse and when it does start, cant hold an idle. I've tried to adjust the idle however when I do that and go for a ride, the idle jumps and stays locked at a high RPM before coming down after numerous throttle cranks, even with off the start the bike bogs a bit then she goes, kind of feels similar to a turbo engaging with the pull. If anyone could guide me to what the problem could be, I would be appreciative. I've been told that it sounds like the primary jets are either too big or are clogged/shot. Let me know what you think, thanks.......HITN56

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aye, does sound like the pilot-jets are blocked or possibly the pilot air-jet or pilot-screw/drilling.

The carbs will have to come off and stripped to be safe, check all the jets and soak the lot in carb-cleaner. After a good soak then blow all jets and drillings out with an airline.

Everything removable will have to come off each carb (but you won't have to split the bank of course :biggrin: ) so you're left wi the bare bodies.

So you need to remove:-

Float-Bowl
Float and Float-Needle
Main-Jet
Emulsion-tube and Needle-Jet (under main-jet)
Pilot-Jet
Pilot-Screw not forgetting the spring, washer and o-ring on each screw-the washer and o-ring will most likely be stuck in the body when you take the screw out so use a torch and peer inside then wiggle/poke them free with a WD40 spray tube or similar, careful, they are easy to lose being tiny.
Carb-Top
Return-Spring and seat
Diaphragm complete with Jet-Needle.
You can leave the choke-plungers in.

Best of luck with all that, it will make you happy mind :)

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Well the carbs have already been covered but you might want to ask/post you question over in the Vintage section and get some other thoughts like possible intake manifolds etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts