Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm planning on purchasing a Ninja 650R by the end of April/beginning of May. It's my first one. I'm taking the MSF course about two weeks from now and I was just wondering what steps I should take for gettin my motorcycle endorsement and insurance. I mean, I can't take the endorsement test without a motorcycle, but I wont have access to one until I purchase mine. Also, with the insurance, should I just go before I buy my bike and tell them hey I wanna be covered for this kind of bike? It's been a while since I've bought insurance, I just wanna make sure I'm completely covered when I ride my bike off the lot. Lastly, I hear State Farm has really good rates, any other suggestions?

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I'm not sure about the laws in your state, but here if you take the MSF course, that counts for the riding skills portion of your endorsment.

I use State Farm for my motorcycle insurance, and their rates are suprisingly reasonable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had state farm insurance then went to e insurancewent from $350 a year to $100.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
As Dave said, most states take the MSF course for the practical. Definitely wait until you take the course before buying anything.

·
Old and nasty
517 Posts
Check the courses you are wanting to take, many of them furnish the motorcycles. My wife just took the test and used their bikes, it is the best deal. A little pricey but then you have the use of the bike.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
MSF costs $75 where I live, and they furnish the bikes. Really good deal for a 2 1/2 day course I think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MSF is free in PA, they supply the bike and give you your m endorsement when you pass.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Check your state.

In PA, the MSF course is funded by us riders. Every time I renew my license, a portion of it goes to pay for the course. So in PA it's free. And when you pass, they stamp your permit and you have your full license. But not all states are this way.

Some states, you have to pay for the MSF. It can range anywhere between $75 to $400+. But they all supply the bikes you learn on, and they all require you have your permit. And in a few states, even after you pass the MSF class, you still have to take the states test. So research YOUR state.

As for insurance, shop around. State Farm does have reasonable rates. BUT there is a caveat... generally speaking, they only like to insure riders who already have an auto or home policy with them. You may be able to have the agent apply for a waiver/rider, but it has to be approved by the underwriters. So they may quote you a very good rate, but deny you the waiver to insure you. Had this happen to me, while looking at an RC-51 a while back. Had the money to buy the bike, but everyone wanted $2500 a year to insure it (except SF), and I didn't want to buy the bike, with the possibility of the waiver NOT going through, then not be able to get it covered.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
Check your state.

In PA, the MSF course is funded by us riders. Every time I renew my license, a portion of it goes to pay for the course. So in PA it's free. And when you pass, they stamp your permit and you have your full license. But not all states are this way.

Some states, you have to pay for the MSF. It can range anywhere between $75 to $400+. But they all supply the bikes you learn on, and they all require you have your permit. And in a few states, even after you pass the MSF class, you still have to take the states test. So research YOUR state.

As for insurance, shop around. State Farm does have reasonable rates. BUT there is a caveat... generally speaking, they only like to insure riders who already have an auto or home policy with them. You may be able to have the agent apply for a waiver/rider, but it has to be approved by the underwriters. So they may quote you a very good rate, but deny you the waiver to insure you. Had this happen to me, while looking at an RC-51 a while back. Had the money to buy the bike, but everyone wanted $2500 a year to insure it (except SF), and I didn't want to buy the bike, with the possibility of the waiver NOT going through, then not be able to get it covered.
Georgia doesn't require you to have your permit to take the course (I was the only one in my class with one). The course cost $250 here. The bikes we learned on were 125 and 250cc bikes. It was a big difference from riding the 900. I'm 5'6" and felt sorry for the guys and ladies taller than me. The little Suzuki I was on was cramped!

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Georgia doesn't require you to have your permit to take the course (I was the only one in my class with one). The course cost $250 here. The bikes we learned on were 125 and 250cc bikes. It was a big difference from riding the 900. I'm 5'6" and felt sorry for the guys and ladies taller than me. The little Suzuki I was on was cramped!
I stand corrected! :tongue:

Did they give permits afterwards to those without? Does it exempt you from the states permit/license test?

Just curious...

·
1,019 Posts

Did they give permits afterwards to those without? Does it exempt you from the states permit/license test?

Just curious...
Once you pass the course, they give you a card to take to the DMV. You show the card and the M for motorcycle is added to your license. No other test required.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts

Just curious...
Once you pass the course, they give you a card to take to the DMV. You show the card and the M for motorcycle is added to your license. No other test required.
In Missouri, if you don't already have your permit, you'll have to take the State written test (but not the riding test)...and they'll give you the 'M'. If you do have your permit when you take the class, you just walk into the DMV and get the 'M' put on...as you've already taken the written test to get the permit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It cost me 75 to take my test, a couple waivers, a signiture, and the riding gear. I didnt need my permit or anything. But I believe I have my insurance pretty cheap at like 400 for six months? But other than that where I took it they waived the test(if I would have passed, I was one point off but on any other bike I would have probably passes because turning tight on those ninjas is a french female dog and I was 1 foot over the recommended stop distance and got 21 points) but its great. I only left crying because I wanted it so bad....it only made me more determined to get it

·
Registered
29 Posts
So...you did or did not get your permit? I re-read the post but it's kind of confusing!
Ya'll are pretty lucky in some states. It's $200 here in TN to take the course. But, I'm planning on just taking the road test at the DMV for $38. I know the class is great and all, I just don't have the money.

·
1,019 Posts
So...you did or did not get your permit? I re-read the post but it's kind of confusing!
Ya'll are pretty lucky in some states. It's $200 here in TN to take the course. But, I'm planning on just taking the road test at the DMV for $38. I know the class is great and all, I just don't have the money.
I got my permit because like you, I planned on taking the road test at the DMV. After failing the test (doing the U-turn without putting my foot down and the S curve within the boundaries on the 900 was a bear), I decided to take the MSF course. Best decision I ever made! I learned sooo much SLPR, OIO, quick stops and just general knowledge. It was worth every penny!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please fill me in on this "put your foot down" thing. I don't want to bomb it! lol
thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I literally just completed the MSF BRC in Arizona; it was $265 for two full days, bikes, helmets, gloves, water provided, and IMHO definitely worth the money. Great value and I had not 1 but 3 instructors doing the class and providing coaching. I feel considerably more confident than before I took the class. In AZ, the class is considered professional driver instruction and you get a MVD form at the end which basically lets you walk right in and walk out with the M endorsement.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I didnt need my permit to take the class, but I got my permit as soon a I bought Jasmin. Sorry for the confusion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts