Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mule will not start without attaching a booster pack or cables. I put a new battery on it and still the same problem. Won’t turn over or anything but starts right up with booster cables.

·
Registered
673 Posts
This would suggest that either your replacement battery is not at peak performance or you have excessive friction somewhere, likely in the starter motor itself. Have you checked all connections to make sure they are solid and not corroded?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the battery with a brand new battery last night. When I turn the key on there is no power at all. I connect the battery pack and it fires right up. The fuel lights flash when I give it gas and the lights flicker a little. Runs fine after it is started. I just can’t turn it off without connecting the battery pack to start it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Brand new batteries have been known to be defective. The only way to know for sure, is to take it in and get a proper load test done on it. They will give you a printout of the load test. A voltage check is not good enough to ascertain the health of a battery.

In the meantime, you could disconnect the new battery, and inspect its connections and look for a secondary wire that connects to the positive terminal of the battery. Sometimes this wire can hide inside the red rubber cap and when you put jumpers on, the jumper bridges the gap to this unconnected wire. Just to be clear, your positive battery terminal might need two wires connected to the battery. One goes to the starter and the other feeds the rest of the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts