Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1981 kawasaki kx420. That I have been bringing back to life. The only way I can get it started. Is with standing on the side of the bike kickstart it and let the kickstarter spring back up. If I do a normal kickstart it will not start at all no matter how many time I kick it. I've replaced the ignition coil, cdi box , new spark plug , new piston rings , new carb , new kickstart springs. I'm not sure if I have a week stator. Can anyone help ty

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
Are you saying that if you straddle the bike and kick it, it won't start but if you are off the bike and kick it, it starts?
Wow that is so weird. After it starts does it ride and run ok?

Is the bike vertical in both scenarios when you kick it? Or are you leaving it on the side stand when you get off the bike and kick it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , if im on the bike it will not start. When I kick it off the bike I have to kick it and at the bottom let my foot slide off so it springs back fast. It's the only way it will start. It is upright for both. It rides fine when I get it started. It's just a pain in the rear to start. Very strange

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
It may have something to do with how hard you can kick it. Are you able to give it a better kick when you are off the bike?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I kick both the same. It will not even start if I stand on the side and keep my foot on the kick lever. It only works if at the bottom of my kick I slide my foot off the lever.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
210 Posts
I have been following your posts just out of curiosity, very weird. I think you have a mechanical issue in the kick start mechanism or other related parts. Have you tired to push start? Can you start it with the clutch pulled in? In gear?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts